Part 3: Monster

Five minutes before the final lesson's bell rang...

I had all kinds of mixed emotions. Nervous, excited, scared, happy, feeling hot, cold, fuzzy... I decided to go pee again. What the hell, why was I acting like I was about to take an entrance exam? I cursed my social awkwardness on the way to the restroom.

I bumped on Sougo on my way back to the infirmary. Apparently some classes had been dismissed and the pupils were already scattered around the school.

"Oh hey, Sensei," Sougo patted my head (he was taller than me). "Whatcha doing?"

"Don't treat me like a pet!" I brushed his hand away since we caught some students' attention. "I'm going home late today, so you go on without me."

"Hm? Is everything okay?"

Fufufu yes of course it's all okay. I'm having a little date with Haise ♡ You little brat just go home and drink your milk! This is adult time~ ohoho!

"Yeah. See you later!" I wanted to quickly return to my work place, in case Haise was already there.

But Sougo followed me back.

"Why are you following me? Shoo. Go home."

"You're hiding something and I want to find out," his face was like that of an evil demon.

"That's none of your business! Just go already, why do you like to mess with people so much?"

"... I'm just worried about you."

I was surprised by that civil attitude, but not for long: Sougo made a shivering gesture and laughed, "it's kinda gross to say nice words, especially to you."

"I feel the same."

"Uh... Do I come at the wrong time?" I heard a voice coming from behind us. Haise's here!

"No, not at all!" I answered nervously. I took a quick glance at Sougo to see if he's going to mock me again. Luckily, he kept quiet and decided to leave.

"Don't come home too late," he pointed at me before going.

"You're not my mom!"

Haise chuckled, "You both sure are close, is he your relative?"

No, he's just a random brat – was what I wanted to say, but since I didn't really know this charming young man yet, I didn't want to give bad impression.

"He's my close friend's little brother, but she moved to another city when she got married, so I'm like a second big sis who watches him and report his movements to my friend!"

"I saw you two yesterday, you seemed to be arguing at the bus stop."

NO! How much did you see?? I was very unladylike when I was around Sougo and yesterday we were literally pulling each other's hair.

"A-are you sure it was me, ha-ha-ha..." I laughed nervously.

"I can't be wrong about that," Haise smiled and gave me a look that made me wonder if he was flirting. But maybe it was just in my head...

-SWOOSH—

Something flew from outside the window into the infirmary. It was so fast that I could only saw greyish silhouette moving around. It went pass Haise's right arm, left a huge cut near his elbow.

In a swift moment, Haise pulled me into his body, extended his other hand to reach the fast moving creature, and caught it by the antennae on its head. The creature was only the size of a big watermelon. It's shaped like an oval, but with rigged surface and sharp edges on its greyish body. Its face was quite simple looking: three red eyes, no nose whatsoever, and a blob of a mouth. It's still buzzing and trying to escape from Haise's strong grip.

Then something else dashed into the room from the window. It's a bald man wearing a cape.

"Hi, I'm Saitama. Thanks for catching that little monster. Also, cool hair. You're lucky to still be able to keep them there; I lost every single strand," he said while retrieving the creature from Haise. Then he left without explaining anything else. (I suppose you have to read One Punch Man to understand this bit)

Realising that he was still hugging me with my face pressed against his chest, Haise loosened his grip to let me pull away from him. "Are you alright?" he asked.

I nodded. 

But I saw it. 

Right when that creature cut Haise's arm, and when he caught the sharp-edged part of the monster... Haise was bleeding for a moment, but then there were flesh forming around the wounds and quickly sealed the injuries. It happened in a split second, but I saw it. I was struck with the realisation that Haise could not be a human.