Chapter 9

The train ride to Tokyo was uneventful, besides Ranpo's cocky remarks about ... everyone and everything.
- What's your ability? - I interrupted his speech about how mochi is tasteless .
- My ability is the best ever - he got excited- Ultra Deduction, if I put on these glasses - he took out a simple black frame from his pocket - which the President himself gave me , I can solve any case in under 60 seconds .
- That's actually sounds awesome - I nodded. Ultra Deduction, it makes no sense , I never heard of an ability name as such .
- Yess I named it myself
He named his ability? What ? I didn't think you could do that . You are born with a certain ability, it's not like you one discover it and name it . Plus the whole I need the glasses Fukuzawa gave me for it to work , is ... you guessed it , sus .
Kinda makes me wonder , is it really an ability? Well , I will probably see it in action on this job .
- What about you ? What's your ability Y/N ?
- Mine is Twisted Games . I can compel anyone to do whatever I want . I have to hold my targets hand for it to activate . And they do everything I tell them to for an hour .
- Interesting- he muttered .
Then he went back to snacking . I took out my phone and went on Instagram .
Chuuya accepted my request. Great , I didn't check my socials yesterday for obvious reasons. Let's see his profile .
I tapped on it . His username was : crushedbygravity. Hmmm weird but okay . He didn't have many pictures, some selfies , and wine mostly . So , he likes hats and wine and dogs . Not difficult to read him .
I saw I had some messages and other notifications, so I went on to answer them , there was a DM from Chuuya as well . I decided to leave it for later .
I posted some videos I had to for work , scrolled around for a bit , then we arrived to Tokyo .
We got off the train , I got us a taxi to take us to the police station we had to be at , or like Ranpo had to be . He reminded me over a hundred times that I'm only here to watch him be amazing.
The case was a murder case , no witnesses, no leads , nothing . Ranpo looked at the pictures taken at the scene . The murder happened the day before . It was a bloody sight to say the least . The reason Ranpo was needed , was that it wasn't the first murder that took place in the similar circumstances. There were 2 prior tho this one . Both exactly 7 days apart from each other . And this one 7 days after the second one .
A serial killer , I thought to myself , interesting. We are going to be here all day , if not spending the rest of the week going back and forth from Yokohama.
- Hmmm, I see , I need to see the files on the other two murders , it's a serial murder after all . - stated Ranpo .
The agent brought in the files he asked for . My partner for the day looked through the files , I looked over his shoulder to get a look at them myself . Both the same bloody scene . No murder weapon , no witnesses just like the third one .
- Ugh we are going to be here for a while - I rolled my eyes .
- Now , don't forget that I was called to solve this case , and since I'm the greatest detective in the world .- Ranpo looked at me
He then got his glasses out of his pocket , put them on . And ...
Well nothing really happened .
- I see , I see , Alright I got it - he said after a few seconds.
- What ? Huh ? How ? - The police officer was clearly confused , he was looking at me for an answer . To which I shrugged , because I don't know either .
- All 3 murders took case close to the entertainment district , the weapon was knife , a simple bread knife . The 3 of them were are killed early morning , on their way to work , the killer is the owner of the bakery which opens after most of the bars close .- Ranpo said at last . He stated all this like it was obvious, like we all should have known all this .
My jaw dropped . It can't be , is making all this up ?
- I see - the officer said , then he contacted a unit close by the said bakery .
About a few minutes later , they found the murder weapon , it was hidden inside the place . The owner denied at first but finally he did admit to the murders . His motive ? Jealousy . He saw those women a couple times a week passing his place after a night out . He has made advances but got turned down . If I think about it , it really was a simple case .
After filling out some paperwork, we left to the train station to go back to Yokohama.
On the ride back I didn't talk to Ranpo much , I didn't know what I can say to him .
See , his ultra deduction, now that I saw it in action ,is not an actual ability. I'm sure the others keep letting him believe that it is , so he can feel included. The truth is , Ranpo is incredibly attentive. He sees details we don't see immediately, and is able to put the whole picture together. It's the great skill of observation, not a special ability.
It got me thinking , what is his deal ? There must be something with him , I mean his behaviour, everything about him is odd to say the least .
I wasn't gonna ask tho , I don't think it's my place to do so . I have to find it out for myself , and I can only do that if I get to know him better .