Chapter 38

We sat there for a while , playing with the kitten .
- You miss your pets I assume - Fukuzawa looked at me as we were walking back to the dorms .
- I do , but I get to see them soon - I smiled at my boss .
- I know it seems unreasonable to house you with Dazai , he came to ask me yesterday morning , trust me , I have a good reason for it . - he continued.
Ahhhaaaa , so that fucker Dazai knew already that the Guild will be up to something.
- May I ask the reason ?
- Dazai and you are like him and Kunikida. You are a good influence on him . And he has some positive influence on you - he stated .
- Hm , I see .
We got back , I went up to the studio and changed for work . Dazai was still just on the couch , reading .
After I dressed up , I headed out to Yosano and Ranpo .
- Good morning - the doctrine greeted me by their door .
- Good morning, Akiko , Ranpo - I said and I gave both a kiss on their cheek .
- Y/N ! - the detective cheered .
I went with the two of them to the Agency , well first to the cafe to get Ranpo some fresh pastry .
Not long after we sat by our desks at the office , Yosano went to the treatment room, and the others arrived as well .
- Guys , have you seen Kenji ? - Atsushi asked .
- Now that you mentioned, he didn't come back to the dorms with us yesterday.- Junichiro said .
- Come look at this - Kunikida turned on the Tv .
The news reported a building basically disappearing overnight . Not just any building . My apartment building . What the ? ! It's gone . Not burned down , not bombed . Just gone .
- They are already making their move- Dazai stated.
- Isn't your apartment in there ? - asked Ranpo .
- Yup - I nodded - I guess it really was a good idea to stay at the dorms - I added .
- You are homeless now - Kyouka came up to me and hugged my arm .
- Nobody goes anywhere alone . Atsushi and Tanizaki , the two of you go out to find Kenji . Dazai , you are with me , we go report to the President. Y/N and Kyouka , the two of you go out to investigate a robbery . Kyouka you are only to shadow her . Ranpo ... yeah you good - Kunikida gave out the orders .
- Roger - we all said in union .
Me and the young girl left with Atsushi and the Tanizaki's .
- Good luck - I said when we parted ways around the corner .
Kyouka hugged Atsushi, and came to hold my hand , and we headed to the store where the robbery took place .
It wasn't a big thing . Overnight the cash register got emptied out. The door wasn't broken , the lock simply got picked . The owner seemed suspiciously uninterested in the whole thing .
- Probably some thugs . It really is no big deal , the insurance will pay - he stated .
I grabbed his wrists softly and activated my ability.
- I see , business hasn't been good lately and the money from the insurance would come in handy now ?
- Yes , that's exactly what I thought .- the owner replied .
- Tell me honestly, was this really some thugs doing ?
- No , I came back last night after closing and picked the lock , stole the money , I knocked over some shelves even to make it seem real .
- Perfect, thank you so much . You are gonna stay right next to little sister and wait for the police quietly .
- Yes .
I let his hand go . He sat down next to Kyouka and I called the authorities. They said they be here in maximum 20 minutes .
- Say , sweetie , do you want some waffles from across the street ? - I asked my partner for the day .
- Please - she nodded .
- Okay , I go get some , stay here with the gentleman okay ?
- Understood- the little girl took her job very seriously.
I ran over to the stand , was just across the store we were at .
I almost bumped into a man .
- I'm sorry - I said looking up at him . He was really handsome , mid thirties, early forties maybe . Tall , shoulder length black hair which was a bit messy , dark eyes and fair skin . He wore something that looked like a lab coat .
- Ohhh , I'm sorry , little girl , have you seen my daughter ? - the man asked in distress .
Little girl ? Who me ? I'm literally an adult woman .
- Your daughter ? - ugh can you be my daddy instead , was what I wanted to say but I just went with a simpler question.
- Yess , her - and he showed me a picture of a blond girl , about 8-10 years old , huge blue eyes , cute smile . She looked like a doll .
- She was just next to me, we were gonna go shopping , oh my dear Elise , where are you ? - the man was out of it .
- I haven't seen her , but I keep an eye out . In the meantime you should go to the police - I said .
- That I can't do - he muttered .
I see , I'm not going to question it . Yokohama is a shady city , this guy might be some underground doctor or so .
- Ohh , well , I will keep an eye out for her Mr ...
- Mori , Ougai Mori - he held out his hand for me to shake it .
- Right . Im Y/N . Mr Mori - and I took his hand . He gave mine a soft squeeze and let it go .
- It's actually Doctor Mori
Hm , I was right , he is an underground doctor .
- If you happen to see her , can you just keep her by your side , I keep looking around , and I will circle back here .
- Of course no problem, don't worry I'm sure your daughter is fine - I smiled reassuringly at the doctor .