10- DIFFERENT

Months after the incident Bible notices the changes in Build. He went out earlier than him and went home late. He did not cook anything in their house, he saw how his fridge was back to an empty box with no groceries or food supplies in them. Build sometimes stayed in his office without telling him, every weekend Build went out somewhere that he did not know.

Build did not listen to his order, he saw the man purposely updated on his social media every time he met his parents. He saw how close Build was with his mom and dad, taking pictures together, having fun and going for a trip. Build never answered his calls or replied to his message. 

He was annoyed, Build was not an easy feat to deal with, this guy really did this on purpose.

It's the weekend when he goes back to his parent's house after not meeting them for a few months. He does not know where Build is after he woke up this morning. It's a normal routine for them now, staying together but not even talking to each other, just how he always wished to but why his heart is feeling restless.

******

"Mom, dad I'm here" he announces his visit once he arrived at the house. He is greeted by their maid at the entrance.

"Oh Khun Bible, long time no see" his maid greets him sweetly, a wide smile clear on his face. She looks like she was just laughing heartily since there are bits of laughter left in his voice.

"Hi, P'Jen, where's mom and dad?"

Bible steps inside the house seeing it is empty in the living room. Usually, his dad will sit on the front couch reading his newspaper while seeping his coffee. He does not know if his dad had to go for an outstation though. His question is answered by the loud noises in the kitchen making Bible walk fast passing Jen and quickly move to the kitchen.

From the arch he stands, he sees his mom and dad sitting on the high tool on their island while laughing nonstop. Their faces are red from laughing. Build is standing in front of the island while whisking his dough for cake, sometimes he stops when he laughs wholeheartedly, he bends his body and held his waist trying to control his laughs.

It feels different. Their house vibe is different. It has been so long since he heard these loud noises, not the annoying kind of noise but it is pleasing, the happy touches of laughter, the cackles and the harmonious sounds from his parents and his maids.

And one apparent noise, the newest sound is the giggling like laughter from Build. Bible loves the feeling. He suddenly misses the noise. He does not know how much he has been longing for this kind of feeling.

Their peals of laughter die down when they notice Bible in the space, Build who from just now holding his breath from laughing too much deliberately stops, his face back stoic and expressionless. Their eyes meet for a while before Build quickly looks away. He busies himself with the whisk and the baking.

"Owh Bible, you are here. Come, son I miss you."

Mrs. Sumettikul walks to him and hugs him tight feeling so long since his son last visited them. These few months it was always Build who contacted her and her husband.

They sit down at the dining table meanwhile Build making himself busy finishing his cheesecake. Never once he takes a look at his husband in the kitchen. Mr. and Mrs. Sumettikul notice the tension, they know well how Bible reacted to this marriage but it has been 7 months, why they cannot be at least lenient with each other?

That is why they hope their plan now will change the awkward tension between both of them.

******

Build suddenly chokes on his drink after hearing the suggestion from his parents-in-law, it was not the event that made him shocked but the place.

"What mom?"

"Where did you say the place is?"

"Chiang Mai, honey" Mrs. Sumettikul beamingly smiles.

"Your dad suggested organising a family day in Faith, it's been so long since the event had to be postponed so we think why not do it next week? We already discussed this with Principal Apo a month ago. You know Faith right?"

Build nods, he knows Faith. He knows it is the place where they help so many unfortunate children from all over their country. It is an organisation that Mr. Sumettikul has taken over years ago and now Bible is the owner of it in his dad's place. He knows Faith is a special place for Bible, all of his close friends he met were mostly from there, Us included.

Build's childcare centre frequently cooperated with Faith a few years back to organise events but he never had the chance to meet Mr. Sumettikul in person since he had only dealt with the old principal, he was informed that Apo is the newly appointed principal yet he never had chances to meet him either, especially after he stopped visiting Chiang Mai. His past story made him stop going there, not willing to step into the district that had once given him a painful memory but hearing the excited Mrs. Sumettikul all smiling and talking about Faith, how come he can reject his parents' offer now?

Both of them eventually agree without saying much, after all, everything has been decided and they have to attend no matter what.

******

Bible waits for Build in the living room after they had finished eating and now only leisuring together. Build looks really close to his parents, talking and laughing animatedly with them unbothered by Bible's presence.

"Mom, dad can I have Build for a while? I have something to say" Bible says while getting up and walking to the front yard.

Build looks uneasy, he does not want to talk to Bible but the guy knows his weakness, using their parents' card. He reluctantly follows Bible, afraid his in-law to suspect anything if he refused.

"What do you want to say?"

he braces his hand on his chest feeling uncomfortable being alone with Bible. His crescent beautiful eyes only focused on his feet, tapping lightly on the artificial grass.

"How do you come here? I don't see your car in the garage?" Bible begins their conversation with a casual talk. 

"Why do you bother? It's not your problem how I came here. I don't remember asking for your help"

Build hisses, annoyed with the casual tone from Bible. His car broke down on his way here this morning, after settling with the towing and mechanics he grabbed for a taxi to come to the house, not that he would tell Bible all about that. It was not important.

Bible is slightly shocked by the cold intonation from Build but he controls the emotions from bubbling up in his mind.

"Hey, I'm trying here. Don't try to make a fuss in front of my mom and dad or-"

"Or what?" Build interrupts him

"You will lose control and hit me again?"

"Or you will get annoyed seeing my face and running away to your sweetheart begging for his love?"

Build hates this whole conversation, as long as Bible never man up and apologises for his mistakes, he will never act civil with him, isn't this what Bible wanted anyway?

"Tell me what you want to say now or I'll go inside" he urges him. Bored with this same repeated cycle between them.

Bible who is still speechless over Build's remarks clears his non-itchy throat uncomfortably before continuing,

"Nothing else, just wanna say you're going home with me today, I don't want mom and dad to assume anything."

"Okay."

Build looks at him uninterested, face still and expressionless. He then quickly turns back and walks away leaving Bible all alone and confused.

What's with the guy?

ㄱㅅ

Thank you for your support. I really appreciate your comments too. What do you think happen in Chiang Mai?

I'll try harder to write it better. Loves^^