18-REALITY

<Flashback 9 years ago>

Bangkok, Thailand

"Mr. and Mrs. Sumettikul, from the tests that we have made, I'm sorry that we have to inform you, your son is diagnosed with cardiomyopathy or heart muscle disease which makes it difficult for his heart to pump blood efficiently into the lungs or the rest of the body. That must explain why Mr. Bible  Wichapas often has difficulty breathing, always feels dizzy, fatigued, easily fainted or regularly has chest pain."

The statement from the doctor faintly buzzed in their ears. No matter how many times they asked for repeated tests, no matter how many doctors they consulted and how many hospitals they reached, the results were the same. The clear black and white written letter slapped them with the fact that their son was sick. Their 19 years old son, Bible Wichapas Sumettikul was diagnosed with heart failure when he was at a blooming age and when he has such a long way to explore, to experience so many things, to enjoy things his peers love to do. 

It broke their heart.

Bible was always an active kid, he took part in sports, participated in his school's competitions, he registered for martial arts, loves extreme sports, he was a proud athlete in his college. How come both of them dared to convey to him the news.

As a 19-year-old Bible Wichapas, he was living his whole life as an active and competitive person. He loves to try new things, challenged himself in various activities and represent his college in sports but he never thought its completely gone the day he was faced with the harsh reality that he has heart failure. His own heart betrayed him. Too many questions he pondered, too many pains he got.

He didn't cry afraid his tears will hurt his parents more but how much stronger he can be when his mind keeps wondering what will happen next? How much longer can he be alive? Will he be able to make his parents happy? How much pain he will face afterwards? Will he himself be happy?

And for the first time in nineteen years old he was living, he felt helpless.

Money was not an issue for them. Mr. Sumettikul was rich enough to afford whatever costs they charged for his son's treatment. He referred to various doctors and specialists from local and international hospitals to treat Bible but it always ended up in failure.

1 year, 2 years, 3 years, 4 years, 5 years span seeing Bible suffered with the sudden dizziness, sometimes he would faint from walking, continuous nausea and heart attacks, Mr. Sumettikul never stopped trying to find a cure for his son accompanied by his own tears, fatigues and hopes that one day Bible will come back to them. He will not give up.

******

"Doctor Chan said the lifespan for heart failure patient is usually only up to five years mom"

Bible mindlessly said to Mrs. Sumettikul, lying in his hospital bed after he suffered another heart attack 2 days ago. The active Bible Wichapas was now gone, it left them with a sunken pale face, thinner body and a lost soul.

Mrs. Sumettikul froze, eyes already brimming with tears. She was shocked to hear the statement but she couldn't say anything. They were all aware of the consequences. The last option was heart transplantation and yet they still failed to find a suitable donor. Bible was always at the top of the waiting list, it's hard to agree but his health has always kept deteriorating since the day he was diagnosed with the disease and it made Mrs. Sumettikul more anxious seeing the time kept ticking and his son was getting weaker.

She held her son's pale hand tight, chest heaving up with painful emotions. Finding positive words to calm her son. She knew Bible was afraid. He was only 24 years old he was too young to leave this world.

"If you can survive this whole five years, you will survive for so many years ahead son. We will find the donor. We will. You trust mom and dad right?"

she kissed the weak hand. Trying to carve the widest smiles for her son. Her son nodded. Eyes drooping shut slowly. Bible looked tired.

Bible Wichapas would survive and there would be miracles for them. Her son would stay alive longer than her. Her son should not be trapped in this cold and empty room throughout his life. She believed in fate and that fate would bring Bible's back to them, healthy and happy.

It's just no one knows the fate would come in the name of Nodt Nutthasid.

One phone call from Chiang Mai Ram Hospital brought new hopes for Sumettikul's family they quickly flew Bible to the hospital for the procedure.

"A registered organ donor was just killed in an accident and his heart matched with Mr. Bible Wichapas. We can do the transplant surgery right away."

******

Build was drowned in tears that he didn't notice the second stretcher was wheeled into the emergency room.

A young Build Jakapan also didn't know the day he lost his fiancé and got his heart shattered, Bible Wichapas Sumettikul finally owned the late Nodt Nutthasid's heart and that is how fate brought them together.

<2022, present>

Chiang Mai, Thailand

Bible considered himself a cool person even after he was diagnosed with heart failure and survived the disease after the successful heart transplantation, he was always a cool person. He is often calm in handling stress and risks and he thinks wisely before making any decision but he never thought the day he was associated with Build Jakapan, his life changed.

He holds his chest, his body freezes listening to the conversation across the room. The secret, the donor, the surgery, the hidden truth, the owner of his heart who helped him survive and the relation of Build Jakapan with all of this. His heart suddenly hurts and the pain is surging through his body making him trembles.

"are you going to hide the fact that the heart Bible owns right now belongs to Nodt.  Nodt Nutthasid. Build's deceased fiancé ?!!"

Mile's voice resonates in his ears, shooting through his thumping heart.  Nodt Nutthasid the owner of his heart was Build's supposed to be husband. Nodt Nutthasid who loved Build  Jakapan should have married Build when the accident occurred, yet fate had its own plan.  Bible is too shocked by the information he doesn't realize the loud gasp out from his mouth. Heaving and heavy.

"Bib- Bible"

Mrs. Sumettikul stutters calling for his son who is standing still at the door.

Bible is lost in his own thoughts.

"Why are you hiding this from me?"

his eyes red staring at his parent, voice stern from holding his anger.

"You know about this from the beginning? was that why you asked me to get married to Build? To repay his deceased husband? I am not asking for this mom, dad. I am not asking to get sick, I am not asking for my heart to fail me. If this is how it's gonna be, why don't you just let me die? Why are you doing this to me?!"

he beats his chest hard trying to soothe the pain suffocating him.

Bible chokes up, his mind jumbled with anger and confusion. He hates Build Jakapan, he said it with his own heart in front of the poor man he hates him, he hurts him and he despised him. How destiny puts him into this situation and how reality mocks him for being an asshole towards Build.

Mile and Apo restrain Bible from his wild action. The younger boy is losing control. Bible is squirming hard from their tight grip, wanting to express his anger towards anyone, anything.

"Ben, calm down...sshh"

Apo hugs him, his own tears betray him. He doesn't know what parts hurt Bible the most but the fact is already painful to bear.

"You don't know how much I hate him mom, dad. You don't know how much I despised him I hurt him. You can't do this to me"

Bible grates his teeth. Tears are already brimming in his eyes, threatening to flow down.

"You can't do this.. to me" and for the first time ever, after years of acting strong,

 He cries.

ㄱㅅ

Love your comments and hype for this book. Thank you for your understanding and support ^^