RDA| Part II: Reign of Hell

Dyland Woods High School

2009-2010

Harry

I swear our Chemistry teacher, Mr. Gavary, is the coolest teacher ever in our school. He is an elderly man who waits for people to get out of the bathroom before starting his lesson. He is not one of those teachers that shames students for not going to the bathroom in-between classes. He lets them go to the bathroom at the beginning of class. If they are gone for a long time, he will ask a student to check on them. He makes class very fun and is not afraid to curse once in a while. When he is absent, he makes the substitute play a movie and the class becomes a free study hall.

The class began five minutes ago and we are waiting for Markus to get out of the bathroom. For a boy, he has a bladder like a squirrel and he isn't very strong. I am an average boy, but the popular kids love to spread rumors about me. They say that I live in a run-down house, I'm an illegal immigrant, and I am in a criminal gang. I am partially Latino. My mama is Mexican and my papa is American. They got married together in America and I was born here. I still go to Mexico more than once per year because my mom wants to see her family. They're pretty nice and festive. The area has plenty of outside fair markets with a populated town right to the north. They raised my mama quite well. I am very close to them. Sadly, these kids here don't know that. They think I am in a criminal gang in alleyways. Not true. Some kids at this school are prejudiced and racist as shit.

"Markus has been in the bathroom for a long time," Mr. Gavary says, "I will send one of you guys down to check on him in a minute.

He probably has a safe spot in the restroom. There are solo rooms with a toilet in them. The less people, the better. I do feel sorry for him though. I do see him getting bullied too. Bullies make sneer comments about how he looks and how he is weak. They go as far as shoving him to the ground. They probably spread similar rumors about him too. He possibly has Latin American descent, but can't confirm it. His skin is a lighter brown than my own.

Everything in the classroom shifts side to side, knocking our stuff up the desks, leaving us confused and startled. Earth eventually begins to rumble. The teacher urges us to go under our desks. The earthquake magnificently intensifies. We aren't in an area that is prone to earthquakes. We are in Colorado. When I was in Mexico, we experienced tremors because we live near a volcano. The scary thing is that we don't feel earthquakes this major and it's becoming more violent by the second. Students scream in fear when the ceiling and bodies begin to fall onto us. We hear them shriek as they plummet onto our desks. Not too far out, we hear the Earth ripping apart. It sounds of tons of rock and debris tumbling down deeper and deeper into the planet until I can't hear it anymore. I swear that I can hear a distant roar as if someone awakened the beast outside. Is it something falling, or something else at stake, or the devil has risen?

"Somebody let me inside! Someone is chasing me! Please, help me!" We all hear a girl shrieking outside while pounding on the door. We refuse to move because the rest of the ceiling might fall on us very soon. I watch from underneath my desk as the girl student keeps begging and banging on the door. My desk is on the last row and closest to the door. I see a hand cover the girl's mouth. My God! Their arms look ungodly black like it has been burned. The girl is paralyzed in fear as her last bit of hope went down with her last tear. She gets pulled away from the window, making me unable to see what happens next.

In what seems like a minute, the earthquake slowly fades away. I come out from under my desk and I cover my mouth in complete shock. There are some kids lying around injured or trying to process what just happened. I look up to see part of the blue sky as if the roof collapsed in. I then see other students and the teacher get out from under their desks. The teacher looks out and orders us for those who can get out to get away from the premises. I went out and I see a huge crack in the ground in the middle of the hallway. The crack is five feet wide and it seems like a bottomless ravine. The ravines in Minecraft are more beautiful than this monster. The crack stretches possibly several miles wide. I stay near the wall and try to stay away from it as far as possible. My school has a bathroom ahead of us and an emergency exit around the corner. I see Markus leave the bathroom, oddly calm as hell.