I| Chapter III: In the Headlights

Phil McKelsey, Priest

Meanwhile...

My fifth mission and already in a dangerous situation. A possessed individual has already killed two people. Evil needs to be put to an end. The longer they are inside Ivelisse, the more destructive they will become. I already knew it was going to be hectic since the call of Bishop Delemorez about the situation. My head felt dizzy. Something that never happened before. I am honestly hoping to God that Ivelisse has a mental disorder gone untreated for so long, but what Ella has said is telling me otherwise.

Witchcraft and the occult are very dangerous. It's capable of causing harm to people and oneself. Spells open the door to ghosts and demons to mess with people. Never have I ever seen a case doing rituals before. My last clients involved a home presence, spiritual communication, and a boy that went into a house of voodoo. I have read it in books from other exorcists telling their journey of exorcisms. It's frightening to all of us, but I learned to never stand in fear with God on my side.

My older cousin was the same way back in the day. We were teenagers with Catholic parents. My cousin shared with me some of his pagan beliefs and the items he uses. I was naive and dumb enough that I told my parents. I was concerned about his well-being. He got disowned and kicked out of the house. It was my fault. I know my cousin wasn't evil and would never act so. My parents gave me a long briefing on our morals and how Catholicism prohibits witchcraft. He probably hates me now since he has never contacted me ever again. I have heard his parents disrespecting him for his own betrayal.

Naomi is also sort of the same way. She does hold some beliefs of God and is neutrally friendly. She possesses qualities that are preternatural. I was so afraid of them when they first started that I tried to keep her in the house. Now it's the new normal and she handles them very well. She doesn't impersonate or play God with them, so I take that as a positive. She doesn't use them for evil. I don't know if she used it to hurt others and that worries me enough.

We stop at a bedroom with a closed door. Ella knocks before entering. I follow in with her. We see Ivelisse sitting straight up. Her chocolate brown hair is messy. She looks at us, confused and nervous, but still calm. She stays quiet.

"Ivelisse, meet Father McKelsey," she introduces her to me, "He is gonna ask you a few questions."

She doesn't argue or ask why I am here. She stares off into space. With the bags under her eyes, I can tell she is very exhausted. She also looks like she is in low spirits.

"I am not gonna do anything for right now," I tell her.

She doesn't answer.

I keep my distance as a precautionary measure, in case she goes berserk. She doesn't have any restraints. I want to fully confirm that she is possessed before trying an exorcism on her. Mental episodes can mock possession symptoms. I doubt that they are lying or making stuff up. I still check even if the Bishop told me to go on with the exorcism.

"If you are honest and cooperate with me, we can try to help you, okay?" I negotiate.

She nods.

"How are you, today?"

"Just woke up," she says in a monotone voice.

"Can tell," I comment, "So can you tell me what is wrong?"

"Nothing is," she says calmly, "Just tired. I sometimes blackout and wake up in different places."

In that case, there is something wrong. Sleepwalking or something took over.

"Your mother has informed me that you've done witchcraft," I tell her point-blank, "Is that true?"

"...No," she replies while slightly shaking her head, staring off into space.