WG| Chapter XXXI: Another Has Opened Her Eyes

Phil McKelsey

Day 142

"Naomi is ready to be seen, Father McKelsey," Dominique says while entering my headquarters in the village, "She's in the hospital courtyard now with a nurse."

"Please," I say desperately, my mind about to break, "Take me to her."

I take no breaks as she guides me to the hospital. The hospital is fraught with cries, groans, and croaks, not even the clean scent can mask it. She leads me to the courtyard. Jeez, this is a large hospital, but why do I feel like I am wrong? I feel like I don't belong here. It's all new to me unlike the church trips I do in London. They appear to be out of pagan creatures; fairies, elves, and vampires. Those who look human have colourful eyes. They stare at me under scrutiny as I pass by with Dominique, the only person that looks human. I stay beside her for my only comfort. Where am I?

Dominique takes a quick peek outside. "She's still here," she says as she opens the door for me.

I enter into the outside world. The grass is too green and the sky is as orange as a sunset. The sky is clear and the Sun is a white gem ball in the sky. It's not the Sun I know and love, but I know I am somewhere else, far from home. Could Markus be right that we are in another universe?

A vampiric nurse with grey skin and piercing fire eyes sits next to a species in white. The species is entirely white with red marks all over it. Its white hair is very long, touching the ground as it sits down. The species looks at me. Their eyes are jet black with a dark mask covering half of its face. It has horns with blue edges. I want to turn away, but I don't. White, blue, black, and red, it resembles. White of hope, blue of wisdom, black of death, and red of madness all fused into one specimen.

The species' eyes bulge before snapping its head another way, not looking at me.

"Naomi?" I call to it, insecurely walking up to it, "Naomi, is that you?" I grab some of her hair. It was as soft as I remembered.

The creature looks down, avoiding eye contact.

"Just yes or no," I imply, yet I don't reckon that this creature is my daughter at all. Something has ripped her inside out and replaced her with something. She has been changing for the past decade. She is no longer the daughter I recognize, the daughter I ignored, and the human I am familiar with.

"Yes," she manages to utter.

Now here's the hard part. I sit next to her. "I-I've heard about what happened to you, Nao," I say with sympathy.

I feel like I failed as a father. My daughter getting used as an incubator and tortured without me being there to save her is horrible. The horribleness that I can't describe. If Alicia was here, she would blame herself as well, and ought to rip her tormentor in half. I failed to protect her. It can happen to anyone and the scarring doesn't go away. She will never get over this. Not even God himself.

"Don't say it," she says sharply.

"Nao, please, if you need someone to talk to, I am right here," I offer.

God, I feel like I am scraping the surface. I want to help her more, but I don't know what to do.

"No need to," she replies, "Don't mention it."

"Nao, I can see you're hurt by this," I note.

"I don't want to talk about it. Stop." She sounds snippy while holding back her own tears. She reminds me of Alicia, but Alicia is vague. I didn't know what happened to her. I do know what happened to my daughter.