WG|Chapter XXVI: Up Close, Too Close

Naomi

Day 119

The real suspect hasn't been caught, only the technicians got imprisoned in the higher levels. At least, they are not as maltreated as the union Teketa. Thus far, I have been doing the same stuff. Patrol, guard, sleep, contemplate what the hell am I doing with my life, repeat. I enter the castle as a walking guard again. There are some areas that only the higher officials are allowed to go in. The doors are closed off for the rest of us. The only way in is for Frequency Readers to let them in. Those things are hidden and I can't disable them.

I walk up to one of them, making sure no one is around. There are a few Reveta officers, so it will be at least not so suspicious if spotted. I change my frequency at a quicker pace from a wave of a microwave to an X-Ray. Just like that, the door opens. I smirk as I walk into the restricted areas. My body gets the jitters and the bed bug crawls at the same time. This is going to be thrilling and dangerous.

There is a conference room. Empty. The hallways are not crowded, nor guarded. There are no guards at the entrance of the closed-off area. So much for a military territory. I keep walking down the hallways.

A large clear window pops up. A woman in chains with straight-up messy blonde hair with complete ominous yellow eyes with black edges. She is in a ripped floral dress. She pants like a feral beast, baring her teeth.

"Ella," I utter. This is no longer the same Ella I met months back, but a new Ella that's not herself. "What happened to you?" I don't expect an answer. She stares at me viciously as I stroll again.

Aelen told us that Rick, Ella, my father, and Markus were dragged to the other ends of the castle. This is what they have done to them. This is what Netedinark is doing to them. That wretched being of oblivion! He will pay for this!

After a few minutes of wandering through the halls, another window pops up. It's Rick. Same ripped-up clothing he was in the day before we came here. Same eyes as Ella's and in chains. His body is violently shaking and his mouth is opening as if he is groaning. He doesn't look at me, but straight ahead, not mentioning my existence.

Eventually, another window comes by and I expect the worst. My hands tremble as electricity comes out. Here lies my father and the Father. He is chained and he has the same eyes, except all of his veins are black. He is pale. He is no longer holy, a saint, the fatherly figure I know of. He is what he is not. Dark shadows reappear and disappear inside his containment. He looks at me, grinning, ready to be released. He is dying for the day that Netedinark will release him to end us all.

All this is too much; I speed by it and continue roaming the halls, making sure no one is here. If I sense an officer, I dive into one of the empty rooms. Some of them are dorms for the higher ranks. They are better furnished in actual comfort than my own hive. I tone down my frequency, so no one will detect me. Once I am certain they are gone, I continue searching. I went up into another stairwell. The stairwell seems to change into a lighter and glazed fashion. The lights are more in tune with Earth. I can see circle windows upon the walls, letting more starlight flow in. The palace doesn't have windows; thereby, why this area? The stairs guide me onto the museum floor. There are statues of alien buildings. I walk to a small scale of a building that stands tall with a hexagon shape. It's white with circular windows. I look at the sign, which seems to be Netedinark's message.

"I can remember the buildings alive before they were dead. They were obliterated long ago," it read.

I look at a painting. Netedinark was standing beside a family; the parents and their two kids. They look like the priests dressed for their cult meeting and the whole family was invited. What was he doing there? Why was he standing beside the family? Was it his parents? The thought about it makes me chuckle at him being born by these parents and their reactions.