I| Chapter VII: The Grief of the Night

Part 1

Dominique

We left Ivelisse alone for the rest of the day even if her numbers were dwindling. Out of all of us, Blathnaid is more experienced in spells. She creates her own or does it by the book. Ella is more a spirit communicator that we chat with deities during rituals, pendulum, and Tarot. She does not call herself a medium though. Aelen and Rick are doing their own thing. Rick wants to balance out between spirit and physical, especially when it comes to healing. As for Aelen, I don't know what he has been doing on his own terms, but he is a jack of all trades. He assists anyone when he needs it. I even heard from Ella that he has been with her since the Nyx Coven was established. As for me, I've been into nature and animals since I was in Colombia. I believed in all kinds of nature spirits, such as fairies and elves. I do believe in spirit animals as well. I had to keep it quiet though because the Catholic community will discriminate against us. It can range from dirty looks, harsh whispers, or forcing prayer on us to guide us back to Jesus.

I'm all ready for bed after a quick shower and changed into my pyjamas. Blathnaid is still at the hospital. Markus is sleeping in the guest bedroom while Naomi is sleeping in Lucas's old room. She used to sleep on the couch, but after Lucas condemned himself; she got herself a free room. After reading about the Musica, lost inhabits before my time in South America, I relax myself to sleep. I set the book on my nightstand and turn off the lights.

Things thumping and clanging awaken me. "Huh?" I say to myself as I investigate my room. The noises were close to me like in my room. The wind is screaming against the window and I can hear my window fight against it. I notice that two of my picture frames are on the ground. I inspect them: There's no damage. I put them back on the wall.

Must've been the gust hurling against the house, I thought before going back to bed.

The same noise happens, but this time only louder and glass shattering. I wake up in a flash and spot the same two photos on the floor again, but this time mini glass shards all over the place. The photos lie farther away

"No-No-No. Come on!" I distress as I inspect them, avoiding the glass. I break down as I see the photos of my dead kids, Clarisa and Diego, have lion claws marked in them.

"¡No! ¡No! ¡No! No mi Diego y Clarisa," I whimper softly. Why them? Why did this demon do this to them? It's one of the final memories I had with them, yet they destroyed them.

"Dominique?" I hear my door creak open with Ella and Naomi peaking in, "We've heard something break."

I show them the clawed-up broken photos of my two dead children. "They broke it," I cry.

Ella sighs. "We'll find ways to fix them. Do you have any other photos on the computer?"

"Yes," I nod, "But I don't know if I have them."

Ella nods. "We'll still check tomorrow morning. In the meantime, let's get the glass out of here."

Naomi and Ella help me pick up the glass and clean the floor before going back to bed. My eyes are irritated from my tears that I've never cried for so long. It won't hurt to get some shut-eye before morning comes.

"That's very rude of you. Watch it before you cross my line again," A sound of a soldier erupts, "It won't be pretty. No more chances."

The shade of my eyelids doesn't filter the white light. I don't see any figures or masses in my closed vision.

"Come on. She's weak flesh. She deserved it to have it coming!" A malicious one replies.

"What's your point? You don't stoop to that level when it comes to children, no matter how weak or not. You don't have a right to take your issues out on her! Do that again and I'll destroy you!"

"You can't now."

I wake up for the third time tonight. "What's going on now?" I vex as I wipe my eyes. I look around to see no one. I don't think the talking was auditory hallucinations in the night, but rather two men having arguments inside my room.

A tap against my dark wooden desk makes me wince. I placed the kids' photos after cleaning the mess up. I placed the pictures down because I didn't want to see the clawed photos, but I now notice the frames are facing up.

"What the heck?" I say as I investigate the pictures.

The claw marks are not there. I can see Clarisa and Diego clearly in their own separate photos, smiling back at me on those good times. The glass is restored, leaving them protected in their little frame. Good as new.