WG| Chapter XII: The Blue Star Festival

Blathnaid

Day 21

Bracus remains composed, but I know from the inside that he is in mourning for his people. All of us are. We have only been here for less than a month and it's been quite profound.

Ivelisse, Aelen, and I are outside more; we have been exploring the villages and connecting to the people. Ivelisse didn't see every single village in Gaeriscelleh. We wanted to show Bracus that we are attempting to establish a further bond with his empire. Humans can be welcoming guests in a different land. We give the dead ones' families some gifts and express condolences, sharing our mourning traditions from Earth. It's similar to it, but they never received gifts. They did express gratitude. They also wished us well and a happy festival.

A happy festival? What?

We return back to our home, puzzled, but alright. We are still getting used to Gaeriscelleh's customs.

"Ive, ever heard of the Ourdera Festival?" I ask her, "You've visited this place before. We were just wondering if you ever heard them talking about it."

"No," she shakes her head.

Our focus turns to someone knocking on the door. Of course, Bracus, but only himself this time.

"Greetings, Bracus!" I greet while nodding my head.

He is happier than usual. Pardon?

"Have you heard about the Ourdera Festival?"

"I was about to explain to you about it," he grins wider. He goes on, "Ourdera Festival was named after the blue star and Lady of All Kind. The bluest star in the sky is coming closer to us with its orbit. By a week from here, it will be the brightest star in the sky that will be seen during the day. Don't worry, we have shields to protect you from harm. On the day of its climax, we celebrate the night off at Evanity."

"Evanity?" I ask.

"Ourdera's place, Blat," Ivelisse clarifies, "It's t'e bluest empire with futuristic tec'. It also is surrounded by water."

"She's right," Bracus agrees, "It's best to be on your best behaviour, No shenanigans! Anything bad, bye-bye! It's best to dress the best with a mask."

We all agree in silence.

For the rest of the days, we behave like normal. Bracus wants to take another week off from practice for the festival. He sent his soldiers and those who work at his castle to their families. He has been lingering in his castle and our place. He is a friendly man that doesn't act like he is the king of a large territory. Out of all people, he seems more comfortable with me than with Ivelisse and Aelen. I don't reckon it's distrust. He probably sees something in me that he doesn't. He is fond of my powers and looks. The blue girl gets all the guys.

Ourdera star got bigger in our sky and is now visible during the day. If Earth was here, anything living would be extinct in a scorching desert and radiation. It feels weird to have three stars in the sky. Bracus did mention that there's another one, but we'll be gone by the time it returns. Like Christmas, they celebrate with family and friends. I wish that I studied astronomy to understand more about systems with multiple stars.

On the eve before our exodus to Evanity, Ivelisse, Aelen, and I are drinking with liquor-tainted drinks. The alcohol is stronger than the ones at home, but our guts can handle more. There are fruits here that do contain alcohol, but it's off-limits until the festivals. That sucks for my Irish mates back on Earth.

"I wonder how this will be with the whole coven around," I said before taking another sip.

"It will be a blast," Said Aelen.