I| Chapter XII: Grief of the Night

Part 2

Dominique

My memories replay in a dream. They feel so much longer than I thought the impending day will be already, but no. I relive the memories that were good, dangerous, and also very painful. As they keep going and going, the more frigid that I feel. I can feel my tears freezing up. They are stuck to my face, never to be heated up again.

"Tratamos de salvarla, Señora Soto," The doctor said to me in a very sympathetic manner, "Pero ella no volvió." They tried to save her, my daughter, Clarisa, but she didn't come back. I broke down into a sobbing mess as my husband sighs in mourning.

I said in Spanish, "I can't lose another child."

The English version from our Spanish conversation between my ex-husband and I.

"Are you leaving me?" I asked my husband.

"Yes, Dominique, I can't live a life of misery with you," he told me.

"Am I the cause of your misery?" I cried to him.

He avoided the answer, only saying, "We should spare each other the trouble. I wish you the best of luck."

"Lady Of All Kind has seen your memories. Mortals living life should be granted luck in trade for such a lifespan, not poisoned with the tragedy that pains them to death," Someone says to me passionately. He sounds familiar to the one from a few nights ago when my pictures of my kids were smashed into pieces. He was the one scolding the harsher and inhuman guy to screw off.

"But what about the ones who are doomed to lose their lives completely, losing their bodies to traffickers?" I ask him back. My vision is lightened up with white light again. I can't see the man at all.

"I wish to change your cruel world, rid all of its atrocities. I can't rid all evil, but I can rid any madness with my decree while ruling the mortals."

"Gods can be evil too. They can bring us to misery for their own entertainment and gain. We are one and the same after all, but one more omnipotent."

"I cannot deny that," he admits. He then says, "The Mor- Hound is hurt upon the trees."

"Pardon?"

My vision warps into the trees outside our house. The wind blows frigidly and the snow bites my skin. There are at least two feet of snow outside. I see small traces of blood on the snow. I trace it deeper and deeper in the woods. I begin to see the darkest of branches. It looks familiar to what I saw on Ivelisse in the garage.

"Don't touch them," the voice warns, "It'll grow onto you." I keep that in mind as I walk beside it. The branches lead me to this giant wolf impaled with a dark branch, going straight out the back. The wolf has thick and light-coloured fur. The poor wolf is making quick shallow gasps of air. The wolf looks at me with frosty eyes, making a quiet growl of acknowledgment. I put my hands against his fur. So soft, yet freezing. I pet it.

"How am I going to save you?" I whisper to it as I pet his face.

"I gave him so many chances. He hurt my people too many times. I hoped he'll be my dear ally again, but I fear he's beyond that," I hear the man's voice turn disappointed, hurt, and upset.

"Wait, who?" I ask out loud.

He continues, "The Lord of the Teketa- My once old friend."

"Sorry that you had to go through that. Betrayal sucks," I sympathise. I then go, "How can I save this poor guy without touching the branches?"

"Your warmth, Dominique," he tells me.

I continue to pet the poor wolf. "I'm not going to let you die cold and alone. Even if my warmth is nothing compared to a blizzard, my own will give you strength."

The moment that I hugged the poor beast, light shines from him. I feel warm because of his fur. The incredible heat from the energy breaks the dark branch instantly. The wolf heals instantly and it turns into cosmic sparkles.

"Thank you, Dominique," I hear the man's voice echo around me with glee. A gentle smile appears on my face. The rejuvenation has returned after all these years. The cosmic sparkles melt the snow away, leaving me in nature that grows green upon the trees. It reminds me of the sweet summers I had when I was young. I'm proud that there's someone out there who will take the gratification of my own dear help.