Chapter 54

Chapter 54

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antonio hadn't slept in days. The last time he closed his eyes he could feel the icy fingers of the wind coo him awake.

"Most beloved father, why do you sleep? Rise and sleep no more. In four days you die like a King." He stared, dumfounded, at those stranger messengers of the fates.

"Thirty days-"

"What is time to the fates? What are days to the winds who stroke the broad and shaking shoulders of the earth in a minute's time? Thirty days has become four. Are you ready?"

Without further hesitation, he nodded and the cool winds each placed a kiss on his forehead.

"Blessed king, for your deeds you shall be punished. But die with this promise. Through your daughter Many great kings shall sit on your throne, through your sons will be the merging of an army only second to heaven. No Dominion will be revered over you and those who follow you. "

"I do not want glory. I only want what is good for my family and my people."

"These things shall be done. Now, sleep no more. Prepare the world for your departure. Aid in the events that are to follow your death."

As one of the windy sisters spoke he formulated a plan in his head. The destruction of what was, in order to allow what was to come to happen.

He could see now, what was to be done.

They had left him then and every night since he sat in his cell calm yet alert. As day light weakened, he used his gift of illusion to catalyze his second son's anger. The boy was quick to anger and his unnatural hatred for his father would aid in his haste to see him undone. So, he put him to sleep.

**************************************************************

The youngest son walked about the drafty halls of the palace and ran into a group of hunters whispering with their heads so close together they seemed to be only large massive person.

"Why does Salazar trust the Leech?"

"I don't know, but the Leech can get us power. We could destroy those damned bloodsuckers once and for all!"

"Hush! Quiet down, who knows who might be lurking..."

"Do you think that the army would be a success?"

"If the experiments work, then all shall be well. We can only trust God and Salazar to guide us."

They stalked away and the Third son pondered at the Hunter's uneasiness.

*********************************************************************

Deeper inside the west side of the Palace was the bed chambers of Leonardo, the second son. He slept, eyebrows furrowed and with a trouble expression on his face. He was plagued with a nightmare, unlike any of the others.

There he was again.

Before him was an immense crowd all bearing gifts and singing his praises. The only difference was that they seemed to be miles ahead of him, on a straight road that led off to nowhere. He stood on a platform that was flanked with two statues, blindfolded with a white cloth, on either side and beneath him roared a raging lake of fire, filled with the screaming sobbing souls of the damned. Why was he here? What was this place?

"This is the cross roads, my son."

He turned to see his father standing beside him. He looked like he had in his youth and resembled his older brother in just about every way. It was the most terrifying thing he could think of.