Chapter 59

Chapter 59 

------------------------------

As everyone slept, Simon and Onyx stood in the cool of the cellar. 

He had already put out his pipe and was leaning against the oak wine barrels, and she sat on the bottom step of the stair case.

"When you go back, what will you do?"

"I'm not sure. What ever must be done, will be."

He scratched the scruff of his chin and looked at her with a pained expression. It was almost as if he was going to say something he might regret.

"Onyx, could you stop?"

"What?"

"I'm just asking...when all this is over, could you stop the whole pirate business?"

Onyx stood up and turned to leave.

"Wait, I'm not chastising you ya flighty bird. I'm just saying. You know Gloria isn't getting any younger and I'm about as old as dirt."

"So?" 

"Have you always been this saucy? It's hard for a man to say these things. Give me a moment."

He stared down at the tip of his shoes and placed the dead pipe in his mouth. As he chewed on the end, he mumbled what he had been trying to say.

"I want you to come home. Stay with us, and be a daughter for once in your life. I'm tired of hearing Gloria fret about whether you'll be gutted by a buccaneer or hung by the crown. It'd rest her easy to have you here."

"Is Gloria the only one worried?"

He coughed into his fist annoyed.

"You shan't be getting any more from me you sponge."

She laughed and walked over to him, kissing him lightly on the cheek.

"Fine. I'll stop."

"Promise?"

"I swear." 

********************************

Surprisingly they were able to depart without any problems. In fact the only, eventful thing that happened was the addition of a new member.

As Nathaniel directed the crew, Farley stood by waiting for the Captain, who had wandered off to do something last minute.

"Well, speak of the devil."

Onyx came running up to her hand in hand with a slave girl.

"Farley, this is Annabelle. Annabelle c'est Farley."

"Bonjour!"

Farley shook the young woman's hand.

"Annabelle, rendez-vous sur le navire."

Annabelle waved to Farley and went up into the ship. As soon as she was gone Farley snapped her attention towards the Captain.

"Captain!" 

"What?" 

"Who is that?" 

"I already told you. That's Annabelle."

"You know damn well that's now what I mean. Who does she belong to?"

"The dress maker." 

"You stole her?!"

"No! I bought her fair and square. Although I did have to act in ways I don't like."

"I smell something funny."