Chapter 55

Chapter 55

---------------------

Little Adriana roamed the streets of her village. Gone were the bloodied faces, and the masses had had their fill of sheep hearts.

She ran behind her little brother, yelling at him to be careful.

Then she saw in the square a crier, ringing his bell in an almost alarming fashion.

"Hear Ye! Hear Ye!"

"We hear you! Speak up!"

Came the voice of a trouble maker.

The crier held up a document, which he showed to the people in the front.

Adriana squeezed her way through the swelling crowd and managed to get a glimpse of the document before it was handed back to the Crier.

On the bottom, it bore the seal of The Dominion. Followed by the image of the seven headed snake.

"There is to be a public execution, this time on Thursday, in the courtyard of the great Building of judgment. All Snake men and Peccata are to attend. Humans, your presences are appreciated as well."

"Oh! The leeches are gonna kill somebody eh?"

The crowd mumbled to themselves as the Crier spoke on and on about his news.

"What ever happened with that Dominion fellow? I haven't seen him in months! It could be him."

"Very unlikely. I wonder who it is...."

"Who what is?"

"The one that's gonna be executed you idiot!"

"Where do you come off calling me and idiot?!"

On and on, the crowd chattered. Everyone excited to see who the elusive, snake royals deemed so important enough to publicly execute.

Oh how excited they were to see someone die.

**********************************

After everything had just about settled down. Everybody, that was there, recombined to their usual meeting place in the bar area of the Inn.

It was something quite funny to see actually.

Everyone sat in a sort of semi-circle. Onyx in the front, with Assyria firmly planted in her lap with the arms around the Captain's shoulders.

Before this circle sat the Eighth, or should I say Drake, with Little Minerva (suddenly friendly again) planted in his lap, mimicking her mother's pose.

They had seemed to work out what had happened in the room and Minerva refused to let him alone.

Like mother like daughter I'd say.

Onyx, under the burden of the bawdy mermaid, had just explained the basics of what had happened up until now, and what they needed for him. They were patiently waiting for an answer.

"No."

"What?!"

All said in unison.

"I don't see why I have to do any of this. Sure I understand that the little princess here has to save her people or whatever, but what does that have to do with me?"

The Captain rolled her eyes and the mermaid mimicked her.

"It has everything to do with you. I'm not sure what exactly is supposed to happen but, all I know is that we didn't go through all this shit just for you to say no."