Chapter 28

Chapter 28

"Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live."

--Norman Cousins.

Note: Just something for ya to think about.

----------------------------------------------------------------

What a lousy shot.

Onyx lay perfectly still, refusing to let the pain numb her body.

It occurred to her that to everybody else it seemed that she was dead, but all that really mattered was that the Reaper thought so too.

"Where are ya lads?"

The members of his crew, and those who were from affiliated crews cheered at his supposed victory.

"How's about we celebrate?"

They cheered again and she could feel the heat of her rage course through her blood. But she mustn't move...not yet.

He walked past her and to what she assumed to be the princess, because she could hear the low guttural growl of Nathaniel and the sounds of pistols being cocked.

"You know I've heard many stories about your people. Is it true that your kind eats humans?"

After a slight pause Isabella spoke.

"Unfortunately. However, we do not 'eat' them. We merely take some of their blood."

"Really? Now that I'm lookin at ya, I'd say you're too pretty to do something like that. How's about you have a little fun with me?"

That was it.

With the reminder of the terrible ache of her bone grinding against the metal lodged in her thigh, and with the reminder that the shot that had just barely missed her heart was still stuck somewhere into her body, she slowly forced herself to flip over.

She had a clear view now.

Jonathan was attached to the Princess by an arm around her neck.

He had begun to take a lottery as to whether or not a pistol shot would kill her.

With increasing agony, Onyx managed to get one leg underneath her body, and with the aid of her sword stabbed firmly in the deck, she pulled herself up groaning all the way.

Jonathan had his back to her, and the gazes of those who had crowded around him slowly turned to her.

Her vision was becoming blurred as she was about to lapse into unconsciousness.

"Oh Jonathan..."

Her breathing became heavy as she watched the crowd part, staring quiet and amazed at her.

He slowly turned around to face her.

He still held the princess to him and he reached for the pistol that he still held in the waist of his pants.

"Why won't you die?"

He wasn't surprised and seemed to be almost angry with her for surviving. He released the princess and practically threw her into the waiting arms of Farley.

He pointed the pistol at her again and she hoisted the sword over her shoulder as if it were a spear.

An eerie silence surrounded them.

Jonathan pulled the trigger and Onyx threw the sword.

It was at that moment that her body decided that it had had enough and it completely shut down. She felt her self sink quickly into the darkness.

Why hadn't she died?

Because she was dead already.

**************************************************

Between myth and man there lies a pact.

Of children learned and soulful tact.

The deaf will turn from the Myth's attack.

And if the myth should please the man, the man and myth shall form a plan

to mix that which is true with that which is not, and thus the flesh shall abstain from rot.

But should it sign it's dying pen, come back and write it o'er again.

------------------------------------------

WEEEEEELLLLL!!!

I know I promised not to put any notes but I just want to say that there is a purpose for the last bit of the chapter. OK that is all- and thanks for my 1,400 + reads.