Chapter 38

Chapter 38 

----------------------------------- 

That night there was a great feast.  

The pirates threw about the fruit and fish as if it was the last bit of real food they had eaten in a long time. 

They all sat close to the fire and sang chantries as the smoke filled the night sky.

Isabella sat in between Nathaniel and Farley. The latter was fast asleep and the former was gazing steadily into the orange flames. 

"Nathaniel?" 

"Yes ma'am?" 

"Why were we created?" 

Nathaniel sighed and leaned his chin on his knees, not looking away from the fire. 

"We were created because humans weren't satisfied with what they had." 

"Do you believe that God forsakes us?"

Nathaniel looked at her then, and saw the worry that was in her eyes. 

"You fear for your soul?" 

"I'm not sure if I have one exactly." 

"We all have souls, and God has not forsaken us." 

"But, the humans say that we are demons damned by God." 

"No. What we are the product of a temporary insanity that was answered by a sinister force. In fact you could almost call us sins and sins are forgiven." 

"Do you believe in God Nathaniel?" 

"Yes. Although, I wouldn't call myself a saint. Do you?" 

"Yes. But I'm not sure if that amounts to anything?"

The child was transfixed with the realization that came to many of her kind at her age. 

Why am I different and why do the humans hate me so?

Vane didn't feel like he was up to having this conversation just yet. 

"You'll be fine young one. Don't fret over the big things." 

He ruffled her hair and she smiled at him. 

On the other side of her Farley was stuffing a large sliver of fish meat into her mouth and almost choked as a fish bone got lodged in her throat. 

Isabella hit her hard in the back and Farley spit it out, hacking and spitting, much to the enjoyment of those that sat around her. 

Isabella looked over the faces of the little family she had come to know and smiled to herself. 

She stared into the dancing flames and tried to keep the positive feeling that surrounded her. 

But she couldn't. No matter how hard she tried, she couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible was going to happen. 

The flames began to rage wildly in front of her eyes and mirrored the confused and anxious tempest that she was feeling in her heart. 

The inferno seemed to call to her, beckoning her into their hellish depths. Wanting her to burn with them. 

"From whence you came, so shall you return. Ashes to Ashes and dust to dust." 

She could hear the voices in her head singing as the fire licked out to grasp her face. 

The red-orange spindles contorted and shifted until they took on her likeness.  

"Hurry my pet! Your job is not quite finished yet. Leave this place and be wary of the new earth! The hunters are here and they linger near, We fear that they'll get to him first!"