Chapter 67

Chapter 67 

------------------------ 

Salazar stood amongst the wreckage that was around him. slow decomposition meant that a lot of the Snake-men that had been slain were still stuck in their terrifying pre-death positions. He had wanted to eradicate all of their kind, and he was now capable of doing that. Leonardo had fled and he couldn't find anyone who knew of his whereabouts. The Hunters and Snake-men were officially at war and the latter's present leader was no where to be found. What a mess this was.

"Sir, we were unable to find the head."

"And the body?"

"We are moving it as we speak."

Salazar nodded and mused over how quickly things had changed for him. Just think, if the cleansing wars had never existed none of this needed to happen.

But they did exist and all of this had to happen because of it. 

He stared at his fellow Hunters as they gingerly picked up the decapitated body of the former Dominion. It had to have been in the same spot for days, but it still looked as fresh as if it had just died.

"Sir!"

He snapped his attention to one of his underlings that was running towards him. 

"What is it?"

"We found it!" 

"Found what?" 

"The head!"

The man suddenly began running in the opposite direction, Salazar took off after him stopping in his tracks as his underling pointed up at the spiked tips of the gate that led into the courtyard.

"Dear God..."

There, impaled like an ornament, was the former Dominion's head. 

It held a final expression of a profound peace and Salazar stared up at it in disgust.

"So that's what that bastard leech did with it. Get it down this instant!"

The man began to scale the gate and Salazar looked back up at the severed head, this time in amazement. The iron bars, that had been there for centuries, had corroded and rusted. He saw blood, fresh blood, fall from the days old head as if it had just been cut. The red liquid ate into the bars and made the once strong metal, as weak as rotted wood. 

His underling reached for the head, putting his hand in the way of the lethal flow.

"Wait!" 

The man stalled staring down at Salazar in confusion.

"Be careful, that thing's deadly." 

*************************** 

Isabella had fallen asleep despite her surroundings and this gave Carnage a chance to fully quench his curiosity.

"Doctor!" 

The ship's medic was beside him as if he had formed out of nowhere.

"Yes, Captain?"

"What news do we have on the Reaper?"

"We know where he is and the Hunters have agreed to our trade."

"Good. What can you do for the girl?"

The Doctor shrugged.

"I have never worked with her kind before. But I can tell you this, if the child does not feed, her wound will not heal ."

"What does that mean?"

"She will die, not that it matters."

The doctor was suddenly ceased by the collar of his shirt and yanked off the floor so that he matched the full height of the man that was his Captain.