31 ☠️

I finally pulled away, picking up the stone. "It must have slid down with the sand from the storm before!" Adrenaline was rushing through my entire body, my mind and heart racing. "Come on, we should get the guys," I hurried him, only to be pulled back when he grabbed my hand. "Do we have to get back so early?" he asked with a pout, lifting his eyes up to the sky for a couple of seconds, bringing them back to me with a smile. Ah. The donations! I wouldn't even have thought about it anymore.

Though my hands were shaking, I mustered up the courage, wrapping my arms around his waist. Wasn't this how couples acted? Even Felix seemed surprised, but he managed to now show it as much as I do. My head was leaning against his chest, hearing his heartbeat slowly increase in tempo. I closed my eyes, allowing myself to focus on just that. For one of the first times, my stiffened body seemed to gradually loosen up. Had it been my dad, he would have let me go by now after holding me way too tightly. But Felix? He held me with more tenderness than I had ever felt before. Well, at least since that one time.

----------

"I'm going out with the boys, you better not do anything funny, or you know what will happen, understood?" He warned me, looking back to the kitchen. Any normal kid would think he was checking to see if the oven was off or anything, but I could only think about the block of our sharpest knives standing right on the counter. Still, not that I would listen though. This may have been my only chance to get out of this hellhole. I saw him glancing at the closet, making my heart stop for a second. Please not again. Anything but that. "You're lucky I'm in a good mood, if you ruin it again I'll be sure to make you feel it."

And so they left. My brother's didn't even spare a glance at me, simply bickering the entire way out over who knew what. One minute passed, turning into two, three, and so on until fifteen minutes had passed. That should be enough time to make sure he actually left. I ran into my room, grabbing the emergency backpack I had secretly made, going back to the front door, only to have it open right in front of me. I tumbled back, seeing my mother walk in. Her eyes began to tear up as soon as she saw the backpack, but instead of doing anything bad, she just hugged me. It was really rare to get those, especially when dad was around.

"I'm so sorry honey, I'm so sorry," she just repeated over and over, crying out over my shoulder. I couldn't get myself to move. If I would leave now, I would be leaving her behind, the only thing in my life that brought me some happiness. We stood there for what felt like hours, and for the first time, I didn't seem to mind the direct contact as much. "I promise I'll get us out of here soon, okay? I have a plan, but you have to trust for it." She kissed me forehead, leading back into my room. "I'll save us both from this place, Y/N."

Had only we known back then that my dad had placed small microphones hidden throughout the house. Maybe then I wouldn't have found her body that night.

----------

My eyes started to well up again upon my last memory of her. He luckily hadn't found out about my own plan, but the day after, my dad came into my room again. He 'calmly' explained that my mother had decided to leave him, so he had to stop her. "You won't leave me, will you?" he asked at the end. I don't think I could ever get it out of my mind, just like the guilt I felt. Had I not tried to escape, maybe mom wouldn't have told me about her plan. Maybe she would have lived. And what if the plan had worked, what if we had finally gotten out of there together? What would my life look like then?

Felix lightly pulled back a little, his hands cupping my cheeks, to wipe away the tears that had unknowingly formed already. "Hey, it's okay," he whispered softly. "I know things have been tough around here, but we're gonna make it through, okay?" I nodded, rubbing my eyes to make it stop. "Yeah," I hummed, looking down to the ground. I was already embarrassed enough he'd seen me cry.

"Or... is something else going on?" he asked me carefully, lifting my face back up, his eyes trying to find the answers in mine. I took a step back, freeing myself from his grip. "It's nothing. Come on, let's just get back, shall we?" Without looking back at him, I started walking up the hill again. I couldn't let him get so close. Even if I wanted to trust him, which part of me was starting to do, letting in someone so easily just felt impossible. If I really started to trust him and the others, who knew what would happen later on in the game. Would my feelings get in the way again?

Felix caught up to me quickly, patting my head, but keeping the physical contact like before. He had this carefree smile plastered on his face, looking somewhat heroic even, almost making me laugh. "I'll make sure we get out of here, so don't worry." He let out a chuckle, but seemed glad to make me smile again.

"I'll save us from this place."