119 ☠️

If the bridge truly were to fall apart, wouldn't that mean that whoever would be on there, would fall apart with it all? "Chan! Chan, you won't make it! Turn back!" I shouted out, but it was already too late. Not far ahead of us, the bridge had already started collapsing, Chan's speed too high to have time to stop and reverse. "Hyunjin, he's not going to make it like this!" I shouted out, watching as realization hit Chan hard. Not even slowing down did anything, as right above us, the first fragments of concrete started falling down, Chan barely avoiding falling between the gaps forming on the bridge.

As we sped past, all I could do was look back, watching Chan struggle, still trying his best to go straight forward despite the final challenge, probably the hardest one. Even if it wasn't exactly like the movie, they still made sure that the ending was the most fatal one of all. "Hyunjin, wait, Chan is," I started, and yet couldn't say another word as I watched him crash, flying off his bike as it fell down with yet another part of the bridge. "It's best not to look. You tried your best," Hyunjin said in a hushed tone, though it was no good. How could I possibly take my eyes off him as he was about to fall down.

Whereas the other remaining cars had turned back, speeding away as fast as they could, Chan was the only one who remained on the road, despite the obvious ending trying his hardest to make it. He was never one to give up after all. Once he had set his mind to something, he'd do anything in his power to complete it, and so he would on what would almost certainly be his last challenge. "Come on Chan! Just turn back, please!" I shouted out, knowing almost sure he wouldn't be able to hear me. Hyunjin finally started slowing down, as suddenly the bike was going up again. Were we there already? I had been looking back so much I hadn't even thought to look ahead.

Before we must have reached the finish line, Hyunjin had come to a stop, giving me more time to watch Chan try. The parts connecting the bridge to the island the finish line was on had already crumbled way too far for it to even be possible to make it, and yet it didn't stop Chan from trying, running towards the very last bit of concrete left. "You can still make it back! Please, the underground tunnel is still there!" I shouted in vain, watching Chan jump off the final part of the bridge, desperately reaching for the only part of the bridge left on this part. "Chan!" I yelled out, immediately running up to the cliff, my hand stretching out immediately.

Though Chan had already given up, my hand was barely able to grab his, my body already starting to slip towards the end of it as well as I fell down flat on my stomach, had it not been for Hyunjin holding onto my ankles. With both hands, I desperately held onto Chan's wrist, who already seemed to be hanging lifelessly. "Chan, hang on! We'll get you up here!" I called out to him. I didn't know what to expect from Chan, maybe a look of despair, or one of determination, but it wasn't the one that currently filled his eyes with rage. "I went this way knowing fully well what the outcome could be. I'd rather die in here than be saved by the hands of a traitor!"

He wasn't showing any form of trying to get up on the ground again. Rather, it felt like he was trying to free himself from my grip. "I know you still don't believe me, but this is more than some petty accusations, this is your life we're talking about! No matter how much you seem to hate me right now, you can't throw away your life over it!" A loud scoff escaped Chan's lips. "Just let me go already! The first time we met you didn't want to live on either, so let me go too! If not now, you'll simply find another way to kill me off later, just like you did with the others!" A shaky breath was all I was able to let out, even if what I wanted was to do so much more. There was no changing his mind anymore, he made that abundantly clear.

"How could I possibly let go? I know you won't believe me, that you think me a murderer, but I'm not going to let you die, just like how you refused to let me die!" Chan's breath stocked as he fell quiet. "I should have let you die when I had the chance. Maybe then everyone I cared about would have still been alive." With that, his other hand grabbed my wrist, forcefully pulling his hand away, letting himself fall into the depth. "Chan!" I yelled out, almost falling over the edge myself had it not for Hyunjin immediately pulling me back, right into his arms. "Why would he..." I cried out, banging my fist in Hyunjin's chest. "I don't care how much he hated me, but to rather die than be saved by me? Isn't that insane? I could have saved him!"

Hyunjin let out a deep sigh, holding onto me tightly, stroking my hair as he kissed the top of my head. "Maybe not everyone wants to be saved. Maybe they'd rather die living out their thoughts rather than to truly see the light of things, because they're too scared to believe that things could be different than they had been convinced of so long, even if it didn't make any sense. Chan had lost it somewhere along the way here, but my dear Y/N, whatever it is you do, please don't blame yourself for it. If anything, you're the one that brought the light in so many of us back, including me. So whatever he wants you to believe, enough to even give his life for it, was all a lie, okay?"

I nodded, resting my head against his chest as the tears slowly started to lessen. "Thank you, Hyunjin. For believing in me even when other's didn't." All he did was give me a small smile holding out his hand as he stood up. We didn't say a word, and yet quietly, hand in hand, walked through the finish line, through the gate, leading us to the next door to the safe zone. Maybe there were only two of us left, out of all 9 we started with, but for some reason, I had the feeling I might just make it out of here.