Running Towards Love

Author: BrigitteRenee 

Platform: Fanfiction.net

Type: Harry Potter x Criminal Minds

Hermione moved to the United States following finishing her education to become a teacher. There she met Derek one day while she was on a run.

~

Hermione was doing her daily run down in the park several miles from her apartment. She was about a quarter mile from the parking lot when two young boys jumped out from the woods "Boo!" and then ran away. Hermione jumped and hit the pavement. As she fell she twisted her ankle and scraped up her hands and knees. Gripping her ankle, she sat down on the side of the trail. Suddenly she felt a hand on her shoulder; Hermione acted instinctually and flipped the man on his back; she quickly stood up careful not to put much weight on her left ankle.

The man yelled out, "Damn. I was only stopping to see if you were okay. I'm an FBI agent, I'm not going to hurt you."

"I'm sorry, I'm just a little jumpy."

"Don't worry about it, I'm glad that you can protect yourself. However, it looks like you could use some help. Do you mind if I look at your ankle?"

Hermione hesitated but then nodded. "Sure, but do you mind introducing yourself first?"

He held out his hand. "Derek Morgan, and you are?"

"Hermione Granger," and then she sat back down on the side of the trail and Derek squatted next to her and looked at her ankle.

He touched her ankle and she winced. "Well I don't think that it's broken, but you aren't going to be able to walk on it. Do you want my help getting back to the parking lot?"

Hermione looked a little defeated. "Fine, but don't think that I am happy about this." Derek laughed a little and helped pull her up. He turned his back to her and put his arms out behind him. Hermione looked at him. "What do you think you are doing?"

"I'm going to give you a piggyback ride; how else do you think you are going to make it back a quarter of a mile and it's going to be dark soon?"

"Fine, but note that I'm doing this under duress."

He laughed again. "Come on, jump up. The sooner we get going the sooner we are done with this."

Derek, not wanting to walk in silence, started up a conversation. "So a British accent, when did you move to D.C.?"

Hermione readjusted her arms around his neck. "I moved here about a year ago from London. What about you? Have you always lived in D.C.?"

"I grew up in Chicago, but came here to work for the BAU for the FBI."

"What's the BAU?"

"It's the Behavioral Analysis Unit; we look at serial killers, child abductions and consult on different cases. And how do you spend your time besides running in the park?"

"I'm a teacher at a private school in the area. I teach Latin, French, and Greek year round and a creative writing elective."

"That is not the type of high school that I went to. We only had Spanish."

"Yeah, well this is an exclusive private school, so they are able to offer a number of classes that wouldn't usually be offered. And my students aren't just high schoolers, I actually teach French starting to students in second grade, but the other classes don't start until middle school or high school."

They asked questions back and forth for the rest of the walk. When they made it back to the parking lot, Derek asked, "What car is yours so I can drop you off?"