Bones Of Metal (Strong and Brave) - Part 2 - The Invasion

In the end, Steve and Bucky barely got two weeks before Fury was asking for Steve's help. The blond came back from the gym with a manila folder and a scowl, saying Fury had found him with a mission. An alien invasion, he said. Lucifer scoffed; since when did aliens ever invade Earth? There wasn't anything of value to them on the planet.

At least, that's what Lucifer thought until Steve mentioned the tesseract. How could he not have realized? It was a power that didn't belong on Earth, of course someone was bound to notice it sooner or later.

"Fury said the leader was called Loki," Steve said as he, Lucifer, Maze and Bucky mulled over the entire issue in the main living space of the house. "I thought Thor said he was dead."

"He's supposed to be," Lucifer replied, frowning as he watched Bucky examine the briefing package with all the intensity of the Winter Soldiers. "But death doesn't like to stick with Loki. He fakes his death sometimes, or he gets into troubles that should have left him missing a limb, but...Loki's a trickster. It's his line of work."

"How much of the mythology is true?" Bucky hummed idly.

"Not a lot. Most of it started as rumors and pranks." Lucifer scoffed suddenly, "Like that thing with me and goats. I don't like goats and if I ever find out who started that bloody rumor, I swear-"

"Lucifer," Steve cut him off. Lucifer huffed in offence, but the blond didn't bat an eye. "Go get Thor. He said he can't travel between realms on his own right? We could use his help for this."

The devil scowled. "Oh of course. I'm a taxi now, am I?"

"You're taking the mission then?" Maze asked, twirling one of her blades with a scowl.

"Of course he is, have you met him?" Bucky rolled his eyes while Steve huffed. "But if he's going, so am I."

"Hang on, Buck," Steve protested. "What about HYDRA? Fury hasn't put together a solid plan for dealing with that yet, you'd be exposing yourself-"

"And leave your ass unsupervised?" Bucky returned. "Not a chance, Rogers."

"I'm not letting you risk-"

"Lucifer'll watch Rogers," Maze interjected. When all three of them looked at her with protests, she went on. "Lucifer can watch Rogers and help with the alien shit. I'll stay with Barnes, and we'll start a plan for HYDRA. And maybe we'll head back to Los Angeles. Patrick cant hold the fort forever."

"Yes, keep me up to date on how Lux is doing." Lucifer stood up and clapped his hand together. "Steve, Bucky, we'll have to get you two out to the west coast at some point once all of this is cleared up. You'd love the nightclub I have over there."

~

Fury wasn't surprised when Lucifer and Steve appeared out of nowhere on the helicarrier bridge. The aircraft was already in the air, invisible to human eye. Fury was mildly impressed, which in itself was a feat, but not surprised. Doctor Banner and Agent Romanoff were more startled at their appearance.

"Captain." Fury greeted Steve with a nod. "I was beginning to think you weren't joining us."

"Aliens," Steve gave as explanation with a one shouldered shrug. "Sounded like you needed all the help you could get."

"It's appreciated."

Fury gave a solemn nod and threw a look at Lucifer. He couldn't tell if it was apologetic or smug. It didn't matter. Lucifer stayed long enough to poke fun at Fury, then made the trip to Asgard.

"I have news!" he crowed as he landed in the golden throne room and strode forwards.

Odin was used to the devil's appearances by now. Likely from that period centuries ago when Lucifer was either partying with Thor or scheming with Loki. Frigga and Thor were also present, everyone coming to attention at Lucifer's appearance.