Secrets and Lies and Soul Ties

Author: Thousandsmiles 

Platform: Fanfiction.net

Type: Moon Knight

Five days after learning his name, Steven finds out the one secret Jake had hoped to keep from both of them a little longer. Direct sequel of The Goldfish Think You're Okay.

~

Jake awakes slowly to soft voice chatting. It's around eight in the morning, judging by the sunlight streaming through the windows but that's all he gets to really notice before the voices stop abruptly as they notice he's awake.

Then he's suddenly fronting and blinking up at the ceiling. Why the hell had they...? Because the two idiotas had purposely dropped back and let him front.

He tries to sink back on instinct only to be stopped by Steven singing from the mirror.

"Ah, ah, ah!"

"What the hell?" He grumbled irritably, turning to look at the mirror. Did they want him to front until they healed up? But that didn't seem like Spector.

Steven is in the main mirror they use, Marc in the small pocket mirror Steven keeps on hand for emergency conferences, or company during lunch.

"Morning Jake," Spector's grin is a little wicked. Jake is regretting giving them his name already. He's pretty sure he's gonna hear it now more than he ever had his whole life.

"Morning Jake!" Steven chirps after and Jake almost groans again. It's gonna be 'Jake this' and 'Jake that' forever now isn't it?

He tries to ignore the warm feeling in his stomach at their obvious joy at knowing his whole name.

"What d'you want?!" He growled. Because they had to have him fronting for a reason. He suspects already of course. They'll want to know exactly what he was doing with the body last night.

Jake isn't sure he can deflect them. Not entirely. He regrets again letting them know his first name. If they called him by his last name he could pretend that this was business, colleagues, nothing more. He could lie.

But his first name? Only people he likes know his first name and precious few of those are even allowed to use it. Marc and Steven are the only people he'll die for.

If they ask him, he'll have to lie, to keep them all safe, but it'll rip into him like a knife from sternum to intestines jagged and hard and messy, spilling every part of him every which way.

If they call him Jake...? When he's still reeling from the warmth of finally hearing his name in their mouths, after years of being a ghost to both of them...?

Yeah that was a mistake. Everything from the damn goldfish to now was a mistake. He shouldn't have gotten caught up in whatever cutesy power of friendship thing they have going here.

"Steven," Marc says, answering his question, "thought that since you had a bad night, you should get breakfast this morning."

Jake's thoughts stutter to a halt. "Que en el mundo?"

"It only seems fair," Steven adds shrugging like they hadn't derailed his entire thought process by going in a completely opposite direction than the one he'd expected.

...This was why he has to save them so much isn't it? Jake thinks blankly. They're both stupidly naïve sometimes.

"We didn't know what you liked so we guessed a bit," Steven adds pointing his chin to the kitchen.

Jake cranes his neck and spots a bunch of bags on the table, their spoils of an early morning breakfast raid.

He is not feeling warm and fuzzy. Warm and fuzzy is for teddy bears and Steven Grant.