A Strange Believer

Author: fringeperson

Platform: Fanfiction.net

Type Harry Potter x Rise of the Guardians

Harry had always believed that there was someone who took care of him when he was out in the snow. It just wasn't until he was grown that he had a name to put to that belief.

~

Harry Potter was in Burgess to see his daughter Lily, who he had moved to America with when Ginny and her big brothers (as well as the rest of the people they knew, even Hermione, which had been a real shocker) had shunned his little princess after her Hogwarts letter hadn't come. Teddy had been the only other person to even come close to treating Lily the same as he ever had, but Teddy was well on his own life by then and barely gave much thought to Lily anyway.

So Harry had divorced Ginny, left the boys with her, and taken his precious little Lily off to America where they could lead normal lives. That is to say: lives without prejudice against Lily for being a squib, or with crazy witches and wizards all over the place crabbing for the notice of The Harry Potter.

Lily had grown up to be a beautiful woman, gotten married, and moved away from the house she and her dad had lived in since they moved to America...and then gotten divorced when her husband had an affair with his much younger secretary. It wasn't that the girl was prettier than Lily, just that she was closer to eighteen than thirty. She'd kept the house, and the kids of course, and then done what any grown woman would do when the traumatizing legal procedures were finally over, and the supportive lawyers had gone their way.

She went crying to her daddy.

Harry only hadn't been at he side immediately because, if he was going to move in with her and be the male role-model for her children, then he was going to have to sell the house in Washington State and pack up everything for the move.

"You don't want Jack Frost nipping at your nose," he heard Lily say as he approached a fence with a white-haired teenager sitting on top of it.

"Who's Jack Frost?" Jamie asked, scoffing a little as he appeared in the gate, Lily right behind him with his hat.

"Nobody sweetie," Lily answered as she made sure the hat was on Jamie's head and going to stay there. "It's just an expression."

"Hey!" objected the white-haired teen.

Harry's eyebrows shot up then when he realized just who it was hopping down from his daughter's fence, and then he smiled. For now though, he wasn't going to call attention to the spirit – if the kids couldn't see who was throwing the snowballs at them, that was their problem – he had no idea if Jamie or Sophie had magic enough to see the spirit, but he wasn't going to point him out. He wasn't sure why Lily hadn't seen the spirit though, maybe it was because she was a squib, but squibs had always been able to...pretty much do anything that didn't specifically require a wand, really. It left him a little confused, but he kept it to himself as he watched Jack Frost pelt the kids with snowballs, provide the kids with snowballs, and generally give the kids a fun snow-day.

"Dad," Lily greeted with a smile, and Sophie on her hip.

"Hey Princess," he answered. "Hello Sophie," he said turning his attention to his granddaughter – who he hadn't seen since she was born. "Do you know who I am?" he asked.

"Grampa!" Sophie answered with a bright, adorable grin.

Harry smiled. "That's right," he agreed happily, and the three of them (and the dog) went inside again, where it was warmer.