Let the Pendulum Stop

Author: Salazar Marvolo

Platform: Fanfiction.net

Type: Bleach

Ichigo takes Yoruichi's place and saves Kisuke, Tessai and the Vizard from the Central 46. Time Travel.

~

"It's the only way, Ichigo." Kisuke tried to reason, despair entering his voice as all the other man did was throw him a furious glance.

"Like hell it is!" Ichigo yelled back.

"Don't you think I've tried other ways? Other scenarios?! This is the only way to stop this madness!" Kisuke yelled back, his own hurt and the hopelessness of their situation spurring on his fiery words.

"Making it so that-what? None of it happens? Ever?! Months of tinkering and this is what you come up with?" Ichigo screamed back at him, raising his fist and slamming it straight through the wall next to them. Debris and crumbled pieces of wall fell to the ground loudly, dust now covering him and Kisuke.

"Ichigo...you...please understand...it's our only choice..." Kisuke tried, speaking gently.

Ichigo's shoulders dropped as a shuddering breath spilled from his lips.

"Why does it have to be this...?" He asked Kisuke in a small voice. And in this instance Kisuke was more reminded of the 15-year-old teenager he had first met, rather than the hardened soldier Ichigo had become over time.

"I...don't like it either." Kisuke mumbled, stepping closer and drawing Ichigo into a tight hug.

"What...what if you don't believe me?" Ichigo questioned quietly.

"I will." Kisuke answered without hesitation. "Not to sound arrogant, but I'm intelligent enough to tell if somebody is lying...Ichigo...I know...I know what I ask of you...I have done a lot of despicable things in my life...but I think this might be the worst yet..."

"Don't say that." Ichigo mumbled back, reaching out with his hand and clasping Kisuke's cheek gently. "You blame yourself too much, Kisuke. I swear if you could, you'd blame yourself for the rain."

Kisuke laughed softly at that, pressing a chaste kiss to the inside of Ichigo's palm. He drew back and pulled something out of his pocket.

There unsuspectingly dangling from a silver necklace was the culprit of all their problems; and the only solution they had left – the Hogyoku. Kisuke stepped closer and gently fastened it around Ichigo's neck.

"Kisuke...what...what if I fail?" Ichigo questioned, reaching out with his hand and brushing it against the orb.

"You won't, Ichigo. I believe in you, you know. But even...even if you somehow manage to fail the first time...I know you will keep trying until you have succeeded." Kisuke told him, a smile on his face. "One of the instances your bullheadedness will come in handy." He added teasingly.

Ichigo swatted his arm lightly.

"So...you won't remember me." Ichigo said gnawing at his lip, the scar reaching over his nose and to the beginning of his lips tugging slightly and making his nose twitch.

"No...no I won't...I will never have met you before." Kisuke said. He slowly stepped closer once again and collected Ichigo into the fold of his arms.

"I wish there was another way..." Ichigo muttered into Kisuke's neck, digging his hands into the cloth of his Hakama.

"Me too, Ichigo...me too."