Love is For Children ; Hope is For Suckers *YB*

"What are you doing here?" Yelena was in a state of total shock, you looked different, she admired the features of your beautiful face, and how the fresh haircut you got framed it well

"Work," you cooly relayed, then reached out to hand her the manila folder in the hopes that the woman would take the hint and depart, because seeing her after a year hurt you far more than you thought it would, or that you'd care to admit. You've been fine, convincing yourself you were over her, but apparently not.

"I-I miss you Y/N," her tone was soft, but her words were heavy with a sense of pleading, "Please, can we try again? I want to fix us."

"There never was much of an us to start with Lena, it was a well calculated ruse that got me trapped into this lifestyle I never wanted."

"Don't say that!" Yelena cried out, "It was real to me Y/N, I love you, please tell me I'm not too late, we can't be over for good, please..."

"After everything you've done, I still love you. with all I am," Yelena's heart stopped at your confession, a hope that had once fizzled out began to bloom from deep within her chest. "I'm just not sure I'll ever be able to trust you again Belova." And just like that the deceiving hope died, because the damage she regretfully caused to your heart appears to be irreparable.

"For the sake of this hit succeeding I can pretend though," you shrugged your shoulders, then shoved the folder into her hand before shutting the door to your temporary room.

Yelena frowned, then walked across the hall to slam her temporary door shut. She hadn't expected to see you, well, ever again honestly. It appears that Valentina, the root of all of the blonde's heartache, had a different plan here.

"Why her?" Yelena's tone held a unmistakable edge as she spoke to your mutual former boss, and the woman on the other line giggled, "Yelena, you both still owe me a debt, so she has no choice but to be useful when I say so."

"Double mine Valentina, please, leave her be."

"This isn't a charity auction, she has two more missions, and then she's free for good."

"I hate you," Yelena growled, only to be met with a a soundboard of mocking laughter, "Yeah, until I put a fat check in your hand, then it's Valentina, who's my next hit."

"No, my debt is up after tonight Valentina, and I will not be back, you can count on that," she shouted, then instead of hanging up normally, she slammed the phone into the wall for what looked to be the same effect. "Glupaya suka."

(Stupid bitch)

The following morning came fast for the blonde who didn't get a wink of restful sleep. Her eyes never even closed, left to dry out as she stared aimlessly at the popcorn ceiling until the rising sun managed to break the precise focus she had on the bumpy top wall.