Chapter 3: Business

Dream POV.

We entered the prison mess hall, myself and my friends, all of whom were eager for a delicious lunch of slop. Note the sarcasm. We headed over to the line of inmates and most of them parted like the red sea to let us pass. So we grabbed our food easily and headed over to the usual set of tables my prison gang occupied.

Yeah, I was relatively well respected here. It helped that I was the only one who could bring you stuff from the outside. You tell me what you want and I’ll get it, for a price of course. A pack of cigarettes? One hundred bucks. Some toy for you to gift your daughter on her birthday? Double what it’s worth. A candy bar that isn’t sold in the commissary? Ten bucks.

Because of how well respected I was, people would often offer their loyalty in return for protection, but there were a few friends who I had with me. Most of them I met and befriended early on during my stay, and now were among my most loyal.

Punz, arrested for breaking and entering, twelve years. Skeppy, ran a drug ring, fifteen years. Quackity, he had forty years for running a corrupt political party and doing a lot of illegal things at the casino he ran. Bad, fifty years for starting a cult worshipping an egg god.

And Sapnap, my right hand man, arrested for starting several fires, he ended up with fifteen years when he got caught setting fire to a fire station. Apparently the only reason he did that was because he made a bet with one of his friends over how long it would take firemen to put a fire out on a fire station.

I however was here for multiple reasons. That included robbery, murder, torture, etc. It was hard to tell what exactly I got caught for, just one day I was approached at my job, arrested, and sent here in less than a month.

“The mush looks sloppy today,” Punz jokingly commented, taking a spoonful of the mashed potatoes which were a grey colour. Most of the group agreed with the platinum blond before reluctantly digging in, all of us having grown insensitive to the taste. Every day here was as much a punishment to our taste buds as it was to the rest of us. All that was good was the breakfast, which ranged from porridge to hash browns depending on the day.

“Hey look,” Sapnap said while motioning over to the corner. “Techno’s finally made himself a friend!” All of us glanced over to see Techno, an inmate that tended to keep to himself but you didn’t want to mess with, sitting with another inmate. Someone with their back facing the rest of the mess hall, the only feature you could see was some messy brown hair.

“Let's see how long that one lasts.” Quackity murmured, “remember the last guy? Too loud for his own good, got transferred to a safer prison after nearly getting his tongue cut out. Everyone knew it was Techno but the guards had no proof and the guy was too scared to say who'd done it.”
“That guy should have seen it coming.” Bad said, shaking his head sorrowfully.

“Want to make bets on how long the fresh meat will last then?” Punz asked, and the rest of the group seemed eager. They began listing times, some of them weeks, others months, all betting around five bucks.
“You are all such children,” Bad muttered, watching the table as there were more claims made.

“It’s not our fault if there isn’t anything to do in this shithole.” Sapnap responded, before coming up with an even crazier idea. “Techno will get fresh meat for not keeping his cell clean, I bet.”
“Skeppy, please tell me you don’t agree with this,” Bad whined out, hoping at least one of the group would be mature enough to not do this.

“Sorry Bad but Sap’s right.” Skeppy responded, before responding to the ravenette with, “I think that Techno will take him out because he snores.”
“Dream?” Bad asked, looking over at me.
“I don’t make bets on people,” I informed him when he looked over at me.

“Thank you Dream,” he said, over emphasising each word that he said, but dropping it when he saw the others at the table didn’t care. So his gaze shifted over to look at the small framed boy sitting with the pinkette. “I feel bad for him, have you seen how some of these people are looking at him?”

Sure enough, a lot of people at the other tables around were watching the inmate who was finally beginning to eat his food, although it seemed he didn’t like the taste very much, unsurprisingly. Some of them were whispering to each other, and a couple of comments were passed between them, none of them pleasant.

“Should we do something to help?” Punz asked, “I almost feel bad for fresh meat.”
“Well if you feel bad you probably shouldn’t call him fresh meat. It doesn’t seem nice if you call him that.” Bad said.
“What do you expect us to call him then?” Quackity asked, “you don’t know his name, do you?”

“If you don’t know his name you could refer to him as his prison number.” he responded, pointing at the black numbers on the brunette’s clothes. “It’s 0791-'aught'-96. Much more respectful than ‘fresh meat’.”
“07… blah blah blah…96. Sounds catchy.” Sapnap muttered.

The group went back to talking again, occasionally one of them would glance over at the brunette with Technoblade, but other than that none of them could care less. When we decided to leave, Techno was still sitting there with the brunette, but his gaze was burning into mine, I ignored him of course and walked off with my gang.

Without noticing, I had walked about twenty feet or so ahead of my group, and was about to turn down a corridor to head back to my cell when Sapnap called out to me. “Hey Dream, want to join us for cards in the library later?” He asked, since we often ended up playing each other in cards to see who was better at whatever game we decided to make up.

“Sure,” I responded. “I have to do a bit of work first but then I’ll meet you there to beat your ass at whatever you want. Tell the rest of the guys I’ll happily beat them all too.”
There was a playful eye roll from Sapnap as he disappeared down a corridor heading towards cell block B, which is where I stayed with Sapnap as my cellmate.

Then I headed down towards where my cell was, the way my prison business worked was I got everything smuggled in, then I'd divide all the deliveries up and tell people who ordered them when the deliveries would be made.

Once I had reached my cell I was ready to earn some money in exchange for some easy work, and the entire premise of Techno having a new cellmate slipped my mind.
_________________________________________
1226 words

Those are all the chapters that you guys get for today.

How do you all enjoy the story so far?

Do you think it could end up interesting?