Chapter 47: Cuddling

Dream POV.

Without any warning George just started crying in my arms, shocking me because I thought that he was feeling alright. My hands moved up to rest on his head, running through his hair and gently moving him so that I could look into his tear filled eyes.

“Are you okay darling?” I asked softly. “It’s so sad seeing you upset like this. You are so much prettier when you are smiling.” He didn’t say anything for a moment, just continuing to cry as I ran my fingers through his brown hair, but eventually he just mumbled out an apology.

“What are you apologising for?” I asked him. “You’ve done nothing wrong.” I honestly felt terrible that he apologised when he either did nothing to deserve it, or when I was in the wrong and he was a victim in the situation.
“I’m sorry for crying,” he muttered out. “You probably hate having to deal with this all the time.”

“Do you really believe that?” I said, my gaze saddening as I looked down at him. “I’ll help you any time that you are sad. I could never hate you.” The brunette sniffled slightly as I told him that. “Now, why are you feeling so upset sweetheart?”
“I was just thinking about Wilbur.” George explained quietly, moving so he could wipe his eyes.

I knew that Wilbur was George’s best friend, the one who was killed at the bar and George got blamed for the murder of. Hearing him talking about his friend made me feel bad. I kissed his forehead softly as he dried his eyes. “What were you thinking about? If you are able to talk about it of course.” I didn’t want to pressure him into talking if it made him uncomfortable.

“Just about the day that I last saw him.” George muttered. “And about how all of this was my fault.” My eyes widened as he said that, and I kissed him gently.
“This is not your fault George.” I reassured him, pulling him closer to me. “None of this is your fault, alright?”

“But it is my fault.” He protested. “I was the one who suggested that we go to the bar that night, even though I knew that Wilbur’s drinking could sometimes get ahead of him. Even if I just waited for him to finish then I could have been with him when we went home.” After he said that he began sobbing again. “It’s my fault that he’s dead!”

I began shushing and rocking him back and forth, since that was the only way that I knew to calm somebody down. “You did nothing wrong. None of this is your fault sweetheart. So don’t blame yourself, okay?”
“But it is my fault.” He repeated, sniffling slightly. “I was the reason that he died.”

“No it is not your fault, and no you are not the reason that he died. I’m not sure what I can say to make you believe it, but if you trust me then you should know that you did nothing wrong.” His sniffling got quieter as I spoke until eventually it was just once or twice a minute and he eventually just nodded, acknowledging what I said.

“Okay?” I repeated, trying to keep him calm. “Want to just lay here for a while and cuddle or do you want to go to sleep?”
“Cuddle.” He murmured, shuffling closer to me, and I nodded before lowering my hands from his hair to wrap around his waist.

Both of us were shirtless, since it was quite warm in the prison at the moment. I began rubbing small circles onto his back, enjoying the quiet hums that he let out as a way of showing he was comfortable. His breathing grew to be calmer, signalling to me that he was falling asleep.

A small smile appeared on my face as I looked down at him, thinking about just how perfect he was. In the past few weeks, before we became boyfriends I’d been feeling like this. He was so sweet and innocent and so unlike everything else in this prison. It was something that I hadn’t experienced in a while and it made me feel good.

I’d been getting him things as well, small gifts to show how much I cared for him. When I’d done that I couldn’t exactly pinpoint the reason, if it was because I felt bad that he was in this situation, but I came to know that it was because every time that I was with him it felt like this shitty planet wasn’t so shitty after all.

For the past couple of days especially I’d been spoiling him with basic things that no normal person would think twice about but was everything to a prisoner. Nice smelling soap, good quality toothpaste, a flashlight so he can read when it’s dark. Things that would make the brunette smile and just brighten up my entire day.

As the brunette slept in my arms I couldn’t help but kiss his forehead gently, attempting to not wake him up but loving the way that he seemed. “You are so pretty,” I hummed, although he obviously wasn’t able to hear it. “You deserve to live in a palace, not this stupid prison, and when we get out of here I’m gonna give you the life of royalty.”

Suddenly a quiet hum came from beneath me. “That would be nice,” the brunette said with a small smile.
“You’re awake?” I exclaimed, feeling somewhat surprised. He giggled up at me before giving a quick yet curt nod.

“It’s kind of hard to sleep when you are playing with my hair, kissing my face, and talking about how perfect I am.” He explained, making me flush slightly.
“What can I say?” I eventually responded. “It’s the truth. You are perfect. I always tell the truth.”
“Really? The criminal mastermind Dream always tells the truth?” He raised an eyebrow.

“When it comes to you at the very least I always tell the truth.” I informed him with another peck to the cheek. “However, when it comes to all of the crimes that I have committed it isn’t always the same.” He chuckled again before moving even closer.

“For a criminal and a… truth teller, you are exceptionally nice. I love you so much for that.” He hummed before pressing a kiss against my jaw.
“I love you too.” I responded. “You deserve the world, and I am going to help you get it. It’s just a week and then we’ll be free, alright?”

“Alright.” George repeated, and then we fell into silence, both letting our tiredness overcome us as we drifted off to sleep.
_________________________________________
1123 words