Chapter 66: Unaccompanied

Dream POV.

It was almost dinner and I still hadn’t seen George yet, making me get really worried. The card games that we had been playing for the past few hours continued without me as I just sat awkwardly in my seat, glancing at the door every few seconds to see if he was coming in at that moment, but he wasn’t.

I got really excited when I did see someone come in earlier, but it just turned out to be Skeppy and Bad. What could be so bad that it took George the whole afternoon to get back here? I worried. I mean, occasionally inmates were taken for a physical exam to make sure they were healthy, but that wouldn’t take all afternoon, only an hour or so at most.

When it reached dinner time I was actually worried. Thinking that I should go looking for the brunette to make sure that he was alright. Maybe when he was upstairs he got really sick and had to get taken to the prison infirmary, or maybe on the way back he was grabbed by another inmate and assaulted.

I didn’t like either of those ideas, so as the rest of the group stood up to go to the mess hall I stood up and began walking in a different direction to them, looking for the Brit. They all glanced at me as I did, but they seemed to understand and didn’t say anything.

As I walked through the hallway glancing into every room on my search for the brunette I heard sobbing, and it was coming from our cell. I muttered a curse as I realised what that meant before sprinting the remainder of the way to the room, seeing George curled up on the top bunk and sobbing loudly.

My heart broke at the sound and I approached him to comfort him, softly talking in an attempt to calm him. “George, are you okay? What happened?” When he heard my voice his eyes widened, and he only began sobbing harder.

I climbed up onto the top bunk and attempted to pull the brunette into a hug to comfort him, but he pushed me away, screaming that he didn’t want me near him. “George, what’s going on?” I questioned, my voice growing softer.
He just shook his head. “Back off!” He yelled. “I don’t want you near me!”

“But George…” I began, only to get pushed back from him as he screamed at me again. Telling me not to touch him as tears flowed down his face.
“Go away!” His voice cracked as he yelled. “I hate you! I hate you!” He continued to scream while pushing me backwards.

“What’s going on?” I asked him, attempting to stay calm and not make him more freaked out as one of his hands brushed against his face to try and wipe his never ceasing river of tears.
“You killed him! You and Techno both killed him!” He cried out, curling himself back up and hiding his face from me.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about George.” I continued, wanting to approach him but staying where I was for fear of being pushed again. “Who did I kill?”
“Wilbur!” He attempted to glare which was difficult while he could barely look at me through his watering eyes. “You and Techno… you… you killed him.” He stuttered out.

My eyes widened as he said that. How did he know? I had to bite my tongue as I shook my head at him, not saying anything. The brunette’s eyes narrowed and he continued to lightly sob. “Philza told me everything! He hired a PI to get proof and offered to show it! I trusted you both and you killed him!” 

“That’s not…” I was cut off as another loud cry fell from his lips, making his pain fairly obvious.
“You both killed him and I got arrested for it! You are the reason I am here! You are the reason that everything bad has happened to me!” It seemed as though the whole prison would be able to hear him. He sniffled a few times before quietly repeating the phrase ‘I trusted you’.

Me being here wasn’t doing anything to help George, it was only making him feel worse and so I backed away, climbing off the bunk and leaving the cell. His cries and sobs were still easy to hear as I walked down the hallway and back to the mess hall, feeling close to tears myself, but I had no right to cry and so I pushed the feeling down.

I returned to the mess hall and saw the group all gathered round the usual table, they seemed confused as to why I was alone. Without bothering to get some food I approached them and sat down, feeling guilt as the five others watched me.

“Dream, where’s George?” Sapnap questioned, his eyebrows furrowed as he studied my expression as though that might have the answer.
“He’s still in the cell.” I stated, not wanting to elaborate further, at least not until later on in the evening. “He didn’t want to have dinner.”

“That doesn’t seem like him.” Bad stated as he moved to stand up. “Maybe I should go check on him. I can’t let the poor muffin starve.”
“Maybe that’s not a good idea.” I suggested, trying to convince him to sit back down.
“Why not?” Skeppy asked, his hand moving to rest on Bad’s back as he sat down reluctantly.

“Well… George is upset. He probably wants to be left alone.” I answered sheepishly, rubbing that back of my head.
“If George is upset then why aren’t you with him?” Punz asked accusingly. “You are his boyfriend. Shouldn’t you be comforting him?”

“Not really… it’s hard to explain though.” I huffed out, which only seemed to confuse the group more and so I let out a sigh, knowing that I should tell them. “The reason that George is upset is because… well… I was the one that killed his best friend.” What I said immediately made the group fall silent, and it made me nervous.

“Dream. What do you mean you killed his best friend? Are you talking about the best friend that George got arrested for killing?” Sapnap asked, being the first to break the silence.
“Yeah. it was.” I sighed. “Now, I don’t know what to do!”
_________________________________________
1072 words