122

Continuation

So don't tell me. I don't wanna know.

We stare at each other. Silence then she breaks it.

- I can't. Honestly is the most critical thing I need in our relationship and I can't keep it from you. Sooner or later I will find out about it and I don't want you hear it from anyone but me.

"How bad can it be, Freen?" I ask in the back of my head, but I do not say it out loud. We just stare at each other for a good moment, observing the shift of something in each other's eyes. Love. Fear. Brokeness.

I lie back, using the blanket to cover my naked torso as I feel a sudden coldness in the air. We lie right next to each other but skin doesn't touch skin. We have our own space to absorb what is coming up.

- Becky, first of all, I woe you my life.

- Freen, you do not! - I turn my head to look at her while sliding my hand down to hold her hand on mine, caressing it gently. But Freen shakes her head slightly as she continues.

- if wasn't you, I would be dead. When I was out of the hospital, I had been thinking really hard about how to return your favor. I don't want to owe anyone, at thet time especially you. Then I started looking for entertainment agencies cause I knew you are really into singing. It's obvious in your resume, 12years in a row being active in school music club and 5 years working in a live music bar, and the way you sang, the way your eyes shine when you played the instruments. I just knew it. It's the dream you didn't allow yourself to pursue. Then I found Teddy. I convinced him to give you a shot after you returned from china. I promised him that if you were chosen, I would invest in his company, especially for your debut activities and pay all the school fee for Ritchie. I thought I was so smart at that time to think of such a great way to return the favor. You would be happy with your new career that you would love to death and happily staying away from your annoying, mean, toxic boss. I thought.

My hand loosens around here. Cold air and silence is hanging in the air.

- I never planned to fall for you. It just happened and I could stop myself from falling. When we were going to fly back to Korea, the feeling just ate me up and there was a small hope growing up inside me that I could make you fall for me in such a short period of time and changed your mind about pursuing your career as an idol. I even thought about about telling Teddy to reject you so that we could be together. If I were the person before I met you , I would possibly do that, but at that time, I couldn't do it, I couldn't do it to you. I had done so many things wrong and I wanted to do something, less wrong, this time.

There are so many things running through my mind right now. I don't know where to start to make my head less numb. I don't know what to think anymore. I just know that we stay silent for minutes before she quiverily squeezes my hand.

- Becky, please say something. You are scaring me.

- I -

I try, but the word would be out of my mouth. I don't know how did that happen.

- I need some time alone, Freen.

Withdrawing my hand, I sit up but she holds me back.

- No. You stay. I will leave.

With that, Freen gets off the bed, taking her bathrobe, walking to the door, opening it and disappear behind that door.

And with that, a hot tear falls out of my eyes, when the first one breaks free, I start crying a mess.

__________

Bad things happen, always.

But remember that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.