Disillusion (part 2)

Benny opened the front door while completely undoing the tie around his neck, throwing it towards the sofa in the living room.

He had left practically immediately after the talk with Daniel. And to add more fuel to the fire, he had never found Frida again, with whom he had arrived, to bring her back home, only learning after minutes spent looking for her that she had gone away with other friends.

He snorted and shook his head, stripping off his jacket and tossing it too towards the couch, immediately heading over to the liquor cabinet and taking out a glass and an already opened bottle of whisky.

Benny took off his shoes without even untying them and then sat down heavily on the couch. Putting the bottle and the glass down and preparing a drink. It was late, very late, but the next day he wouldn't have to go to work and so fuck it all, he would have drunk.

After a first drink thrown down dry, he prepared another one while he still felt his throat burn and then he settled down on the couch, crossing his legs on the coffee table in front of him, staring at an unknown point in the dark of the room lit only by the rays of the moon.

'Fuck all'.

He knew that Daniel liked Frida, he had known from the first time he had seen him lay eyes on her. Impossible not to notice the way in which he almost seemed to wag his tail in front of her. But he had never cared that much, much less to see him do something like make a move to her like asking her out.

'Stupid asshole'.

But, in fact, how could he blame him? Everyone with two eyes could see how easy it was to fall into her charming net.

No. The one he really resented was her.

He never expected to hear her say yes. Oh yeah, because Daniel hadn't wasted any time in going to tell everyone that he was going out with Frida.

Benny tightened his hand around the glass, wondering if it were possible to break it with just the force of his fingers.

But then again, he should have expected it, right? Not that he would have expected to see her be alone forever while he still thought about the best way to make her smile as he played the fool in front of her by jumping around. In fact, he had always had faith on his abstruse assurance that he would soon have his chance to move things forward with her.

And instead he had discovered that he was as slow as a snail while the others took advantage of it.

And how was it possible that she hadn't had the slightest doubt in saying yes?

The craziest thing of all was that he and Bjorn had seen fit to offer her and Agnetha the opportunity to work together in a couple of new songs they were writing. And what had hitherto been a source of enthusiasm for him had transformed within an evening in a problem.

Because he really didn't want to put a name to the fact that he felt mad at her.

But perhaps it was for the best. He was fine alone. Free. Autonomous in his independence, without problems, thoughts of when you are with one woman.

Benny grimaced as he gulped down the second glass of whiskey and leaned over to prepare a third.

But the problems weren't over.

Because if things had gone well between her and Daniel, 'Fucking idiot he is', he would have had to face them every time they met with their friends. He certainly wouldn't have abandoned his group for them, they would have had to leave...

But, again... Why would they have to leave? She had no idea what his thoughts were.

'... Fuck all'.