Arc 2(25)

Arc 2(25)

Time marched on, and in the heart of the bustling capital city, a boy named Yu Xin sat alone in a restaurant. His eyes were filled with unhappiness. Before him lay a table adorned with a plethora of delicacies, a feast for any food lover's delight, yet he couldn't find any joy in them. The source of his gloom was none other than Feng Li.

In an attempt to quell his anger, Yu Xin moved his chopsticks, gobbling up the food before him. His cheeks bulged comically like a hamster as he ate, but the sadness lingered.

Over the past few days, Feng Li had been busy with something, but Yu Xin was left in the dark, clueless about the reasons behind his hectic schedule. Despite not being ignored by Feng Li, Yu Xin felt dissatisfied. They had spent two sweet years together, and Feng Li had always made him a priority.

But recently, Feng Li seemed to withdraw, always running away somewhere. Today, Yu Xin's face remained gloomy, burdened with sadness. Two months ago, on his nineteenth birthday, Feng Li had also been busy, but it hadn't felt as severe as now. Understanding that Feng Li was the crown prince, Yu Xin couldn't help but feel hurt by the lack of attention.

In a moment of stubbornness, he had asked Feng Li to take him along, but now he sat alone, surrounded by food and without Feng Li by his side. Half an hour earlier, Feng Li had taken him to a private room in the restaurant, ordering all of Yu Xin's favorite dishes. But their time together had been short-lived, interrupted by one of Feng Li's subordinates, whispering something in his ear. As always, Feng Li apologized and left with his subordinate.

Recalling those events, Yu Xin's anger surged, and his cheeks flushed red, tears brimming in his eyes. The maids who had accompanied him were quick to rush to his side, trying to console him. Meanwhile, Chu Hua sought out Li Long, who was guarding Yu Xin outside. She urgently requested, "Li Long, Sir is crying. Please inform the crown prince."

Li Long nodded and hurriedly went to find Feng Li. Unaware of Yu Xin's sadness, Feng Li sat in another private room, only two doors away from Yu Xin's. Today, he had come to discuss the possibility of marriage between him and Yu Xin. This matter had been occupying his time for a few months now.

In the ancient times they lived in, a marriage between two men was considered taboo, and despite the presence of male concubines, marriages were unheard of. Moreover, some ministers were opposed to the idea, making it an even more delicate situation for him.

Feng Li sat before a group of courtiers who spoke animatedly about their daughters, extolling their virtues and gentle demeanors. Concealing the coldness in his eyes, Feng Li listened to their banter, wondering why the gathering, initially meant to address the welfare of the citizens, seemed to veer into the realm of matchmaking.

His patience fading, Feng Li tapped the table, commanding attention, and spoke in a voice that carried an icy edge, "The reason for my presence here was to discuss the betterment of our citizens, not to indulge in idle talk." Calmly but firmly, he continued, "If you wish to retain your titles, focus on the matters at hand, and do not assume I am ignorant of what transpires behind closed doors."

With the air of a ruler, he asserted, "Furthermore, this year's examination will be under my scrutiny. Merit alone will determine the winners; there shall be no room for favoritism."

The courtiers' faces paled, fear evident in their eyes, though Feng Li had yet to be crowned as emperor. In recent years, the entire court had been under his control, even as a regent with the emperor behind him. As the only prince, his authority and power were undeniable.

Feng Li was well aware of the courtiers' attempts to push unqualified family members into prominent positions, their blatant unfairness threatening the integrity of the court.