Chapter 24

After spending the last two days submitting all of my assignments for the weekend, I finally lay down to take a nap. My nap is short lived, and my alarm goes off only 20 minutes after I shut my eyes.

Time to get up and get ready to look good for an album release party for one of Bawdy's friends. And not just any friend. The Kyle Wix. One of my favorite DJs.

I flip on my bathroom light, and squint my eyes while adjusting. Looking back at me in the mirror are two of the darkest under eye bags that I've ever seen. I splash some water on my face and let out a large exhale.

I've been more tired before. I can get through this.

Bawdy is picking me up in about an hour and a half. Thankfully, he said there's going to be food at this event, so I don't have to worry about cooking. Although, I don't think our kitchen has much sustenance available.

I sip on an energy drink and slowly come back to life. Just as I'm slipping on a strapless mid-length dress, Bawdy texts me that he's pulling up outside. I wonder if my neighbors ever question why a limo keeps pulling up outside my place.

Throwing out my empty can, I notice that the trash is pretty much full. My eyes look up towards Kennedy's chore chart. Ugh, it is my turn to take it out this week. But I'm really not in the mood to drag it downstairs while in a nice dress and heels. I'll just do it tomorrow.

After a 30 minute car ride, we pull up to the curb outside of the venue. As soon as I step out of the car, I'm confronted with flashing cameras. My body immediately tenses as I think of the paparazzi who ambushed me on my street. I pause, not being able to get myself to leave the backseat of the limo. I need to focus on breathing before my heart explodes out of my chest.

"I got you. Come on," Bawdy says as he grabs my hand and helps me out of the limo. He keeps a firm, comforting grasp on my hand, and we quickly move past shouts asking who I am and if Bawdy is actually moving past his player era.

I really didn't need to be reminded of all the girls who he has probably held hands with to enter events. But, this is different. Now it's with me. He wouldn't have made me feel safe if he wasn't the one for me.

Once we're inside, I finally exhale. I appreciate the dim lighting. I don't feel like I'm on display for everyone to see like I was outside.

"Is it always like that?" I ask, tugging on his arm to bring his ear closer to my mouth.

"No," he says, and I relax a bit more. I didn't even think how going out with someone so famous would mean I'd be experiencing this side of things. He continues, "there's usually way more. This is a pretty small event."

More? I felt like I was being consumed by all of the flashes and screaming questions.

I look around the room and take in all of the gorgeous women who are near me. I bet they all have professional hair and makeup artists and stylists. Looking down at my outfit, I feel a bit self conscious. This dress cost less than the spoonful of caviar that everyone is helping themselves to endless servings of.

As if he was reading my mind, Bawdy whispers, "you look beautiful, baby girl. Let's grab a drink and find a table."

Walking through the crowd, I realize how many famous people are here. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't completely star struck. Most are musicians and DJs, but I also recognize some actors.

Bawdy greets everyone as we walk through the tables. His smile is bright as he hands out hugs to those who he passes. Once we're seated, people keep coming up just to say hello to him.

When we finally get a few seconds to ourselves, I ask, "Well aren't you popular?"

He laughs. "Jealous?"

"No." I reply a bit too quickly and sharply. Although I convinced myself that some of those women lingered a bit to long on their hugs, I know everyone is just being friendly. I shouldn't be worrying over such small gestures.

"Whatever you say, baby girl." He grabs onto my chair and scoots it closer to him so our knees are touching.

Kyle Wix gets onto the stage and thanks everyone for coming. While he goes through speeches, we get served dinner. I didn't realize how hungry I was, and I'm shoveling food into my mouth. No one taught me proper table manners, but I know I must look like I haven't eaten in days.

Meanwhile the other two girls at our table have barely picked at their food. Must be all the coke they went to do in the bathroom. My mouth dropped out at how loudly they had talked about going to do that. At that point just pull it out on the table.

We weren't given any water, so I have to down my food with champagne. In this world, champagne is basically a substitute for water. It's so delicious that I don't even mind. I don't even want to think about how much this bottle must have cost.

A waiter quickly comes by and replaces my glass without me even having to ask. I've never experienced such service.

He finishes his speech, and the whole crowd erupts in cheering and clapping.

I lean over towards Bawdy. "Do you know where the bathroom is?" I just finished my third glass and dinner. I really hope there's not a line.

"Yeah, I'll walk you over."

Thankfully the line to the women's isn't that bad. Although I'm still in line by the time Bawdy leaves the men's.

Bawdy takes my hand as we're making our way back towards the main area. Catching me off guard, he pulls me into another hallway and then shuts a door behind us. As my eyes adjust in the dark room, I realize that we're in a storage room mainly with extra chairs in it.