Chapter 62

Life is good. I feel like it's been a while since I've fully felt at peace. Maybe not fully if I really think about it, but close enough for me.

And not just my life is good. Kennedy just got her first acceptance for a nursing position for next fall, and she's ecstatic. I'm so proud of her and how hard she worked for it. It's insane to think that my best friend is going to be off helping to save lives.

She found out two days ago, but we decided to wait until tonight to go out. Luckily, I'm not working this Friday.

I worked almost every day since getting back. I got my exam done, although I could tell that my professor really didn't want to give me that makeup exam. I think I did well enough. Honestly, the extra days to study probably saved me from failing.

I don't think anything could break how good of a mood that I'm in. I've been living on a high since Bawdy told me that he loves me. For a bit, I was wondering if he even had the ability to express that sort of emotion. It's silly to compare his feelings and life so much to his music, but I know that his life inspires a lot of his songs. And they certainly aren't about falling in love and being with one girl.

I always knew, or at least wanted to believe, that he had a softer side underneath his assumed cool persona. I've gotten hints of it throughout my time knowing him, and his loving side has been coming out more lately.

I love it.

I love him.

Kennedy and I get dropped off at the restaurant by an Uber, and Iris is already waiting outside for us.

"Hi, nurse!" Iris shouts, wrapping Kennedy into a big hug.

"Not one officially yet," Kennedy says with a laugh while being squeezed tightly.

"Well, we all know that you're going to be the best," she replies with a proud smile.

We get seated, and the restaurant is crowded, which makes sense since it's a Friday night. I swear I still can't think about eating in a restaurant the same way as before after what Bawdy did to me that one time in Vegas.

I shake the fantasy out of my head. Tonight is about Kennedy, not my horny thoughts.

"Are you going to accept this one right away or wait to hear back from all of your options?" I ask as our first round of drinks are brought out.

Kennedy takes a long sip. "It's always been my number one choice, but I'll just hold off until I hear back from the others. There's no pressure to accept right away."

Kennedy already did a summer fellowship at the Santa Clarita mental institution and fell in love with the place. She had to work with a lot of complex patients. I really don't know how she does it.

"Now that just leaves the two of us to figure out what the fuck we're doing next year," I say with a reluctant laugh. Joking about not knowing what I'm doing with my future is getting less funny as I get closer to needing to make a decision.

But I can't even make a decision if I don't have any options.

"That's what spring semester is for when you're not applying to big shot nursing positions," Iris says. She doesn't have a full plan for after graduation yet, but I don't think she worries like I do. Or maybe she does and is just a lot better at hiding it than I am.

"When would you start?" I ask as our appetizers come out. I pull off a few slices of garlic bread. I almost wish that I had the variety that Bawdy always orders for us. I'm starting to get to used to having half the menu items in front of me.

"The second week of August."

Kennedy starts to talk about how the position is structured, and I love to see the look of passion in her eyes.