Chapter #57

*PHILS POV*

A week had passed and Dan was still lying in a hospital bed in a coma.

I never left his side unless I really had to. I wanted to be with him. I wanted to be with him forever.

The night of the car accident it hit me that Dan's alive and he's not dead. He hasn't been dead. He's been doing what he thought was making me happy.

Being absent.

But honestly, I wasn't happy until now.

Yeah, he can't talk. Yeah, he's as close to death you can get. But he's right here.

And that's all that matters.
-

I sat in the hospital room and checked the time on my phone.

2:25pm.

I sighed as I shut my phone off and looked to Dan. The doctors told me he could hear so I've been putting his favorite songs on, it wasn't making him do anything but it was still nice to know that he could hear when I talked to him instead of me talking to nobody like I was for three years.

I turned my phone on and scrolled through my music. I decided Enchanted by Owl City.

I remember many times where we'd just listen to it together and we would both grin and burst into laughter.

I miss those times.

It was in the middle of the song when I grabbed Dan's soft hand and in the other was my phone playing Enchanted.

I rubbed his thumb with mine and smiled. I looked to Dan's face and sighed.

I just wanted him to wake up.

I started singing the words.

"I was enchanted to meet y-" I stopped when I saw a small smile grow on Dan's beautiful beaten up face.

I gasped and grinned huge.

"Are you awake?" I asked as I rubbed his hand. He nodded slowly after.

I felt like I was going to cry I was so happy.

"One second." I smiled and ran out of the room to get a doctor.

Once I found one she followed me into the room. "He's awake!" I grinned and ran to his side.

I took his hand in mine as his eyes grew wider open.

"Dan, I'm so happy you're awake." I smiled and tightened my grip on his soft hand. "W-what?" He said as he took his hand from my grip.

"I said I'm happy you-" He cut me off. "What? Who is Dan? Who are you!?" He said worriedly as he backed up and brung his legs up to his chest.

My heart dropped. It shriveled up and fell apart and dropped to my feet.

"W-wh?" I couldn't even spit out a word!

I looked to the doctor and she shook her head and made her way to Dan's side.

"Do you know your name?" She asked. "Uh... No?" He questioned. I shook my head worriedly and was about to burst into tears. I covered my mouth with my hand.

"How old are you?" She asked. "I-I don't know..." He sighed. "Where are my parents?" He asked and that's when I lost it.

I fell to my knees and leaned over and cried.

"Why is that man crying? Who is he, who are you?" He said as if he was scared for his life.

She didn't answer and changed the subject back to before.

"Do you know where you are?" She asked. "I have no idea and I just wanna know who you people are and where the heck my mom and dad are!" He shouts.

I stood up and looked at him as tears fell down my face. "You're Dan. You're Daniel James Howell and you're my boyfriend. You live with me, not you're parents! We're in a hospital because we got into a car accident, please remember!" I sobbed.

His eyes were wide.

"What's your name?" He asked uneasy. "Phil Lester, I'm your boyfriend!" I cried. "But-but I don't like guys... I'd never be with a guy..."

My face dropped and I ran out of the room. I made my way to the bathroom and into a stall.

I have never cried so hard.

I finally got Dan back and he doesn't even remember me!

What's gonna happen to him? Is he gonna still live with me? What even happened? Is he alright?

I couldn't stand not knowing.

I walked out of the stall and ran back to the room to see the doctor walking out as she shook her head.

"Why doesn't he remember me??" I said as I followed her down the hall.

"He's got amnesia." She said. My mouth opened slightly, "as in?"

"He can't remember anything very well. It seems he's lost all memories involving yourself and a bit about himself." She explained, "we're gonna let you take him home tonight; don't tell him everything about his life just yet. Try doing things you guys did before or play his favorite songs that you both enjoyed." She said.

"Okay... Thanks, I will." I sighed, "can I take him home now?" I asked. "Of course, but first please sign him out!"

I did as I was told and singed Dan out. I wiped the tears from my face and walked back to his room.

"Hey." I sighed. He waved, deep in thought. "What're you thinking about?" I asked as I took a seat next to him on a chair. "I'm scared and confused." He admitted.

I wanted to cry again.

I can't imagine what's going on in that boys mind right now.

"I know, and I'm sorry about that." I said, "well, I first of all; I'm Phil." I said with a fake smile.

"Hi Phil." He said with no emotion on his face. "Why am I here?" He asked right after. "O-oh.. You're here because of-of um... You got into a car accident."

He nodded. "Who was driving?... Was I drunk?! Oh my god.. Did I kill someone in the process??!" He freaked out. "No, no!" I replied quickly. "I-I was driving. The breaks weren't working on the car I was driving and I crashed." I explained, "known of anything was your fault, Dan." I said.

"Okay but... why do you keep calling me Dan?" He asked. My heart was beating, I felt sick to my stomach.

"You're name is Dan."

His eyes were wide. "Why can't I remember?" His lip quivered like he was going to cry. "You-you lost your memory when we crashed."

"I'm so confused! I just want my mom!!" He said as he started to sob.

"I'm sorry D- I'm sorry." I said as I held back the tears that would pour any second.

"I wanna go home!" He cried. "I know.." I sighed. "But you live with me, and we're going to go home right now if you like." I faked smiled once again. He shook his head. "How do you know me?" He asked as he wiped his eyes.

"We met at college."

"Whoa.. I went to college?" He chuckled. "Yeah, but here," I leaned over and grabbed his clothes from the table next to us, "here are your clothes, put em' on and we'll head home." I smiled, "tell me if you need anything. I'll be back in 5 minutes." And I walked out.

-

After he was done getting dressed I lead him to a taxi and we headed home. And I couldn't be more happy to have him back.