Twelve

Joe couldn't help but smile when his brother stuck his thumb up at him showing him that everything was going okay. He knew it was a huge operation and the little girl might not make it through but he prayed that she would, not just for her living a longer life that she deserved but for Demi knowing how terrified she was that she was going to lose the girl she adored. He wondered away happy that his brother was doing all he could. He wondered the streets but he couldn't get the kiss out of his mind, he had never felt anything like it. It was like her lips were made to fit his, he just wanted to go back and kiss her again because of how amazing it was.

"How is she?" He heard a voice turning around seeing Demi stood there, it was clear she was distressed about the whole situation. She couldn't keep still.

"Everything is going okay, you don't have to worry about anything." Joe assured her kissing her forehead gently knowing it wasn't suitable for him to kiss her properly even though he wanted to so much. She nodded her head taking in a breath.

"I know you have to work and all but I would really like it if you'd come sit with me?" Demi questioned Joe looking around slightly seeing that there weren't many patients but plenty of nurses on with it being a busy day and time.

"Okay but we have to be careful while I'm working." Joe stated Demi nodding her head as they both wondered back to where Nevaeh would come back to sitting down on the couch Joe wrapping his arm around her for comfort, Demi liked the feeling of his strong arm wrapped around him.

"Tell me a story to get my mind of this?" Demi questioned.

"About what?" Joe questioned back.

"Anything, how many brothers do you have?"

"I have two, Kevin who you met and Nick who is younger. We've always been close growing up I guess." Joe explained.

"I'm an only child, I always said that I wouldn't let Nevaeh be one because it's so lonely. I barely had anyone growing up besides my parents and a couple of friends, I don't want the same for Nevaeh." Demi admitted.

"There's still time for you to have another baby with someone, what happened to Nevaeh's dad?" Demi sighed slightly shrugging her shoulders.

"I woke up the morning after I told him I was pregnant and he was gone, he seemed really excited but it was all just an act I guess." Demi answered.

"Then he's missing out on a lot. Nevaeh is a beautiful and wonderful little girl, he should be proud to have a daughter like her." Joe complimented Demi smiling leaning her head on his shoulder as Joe wrapped his arm around her to comfort her.

"I've tried my best, to give her everything she wants. With her problems I never quite knew how long I'd have with her, this amount of time is not enough." Demi mumbled.

"It's a good job she'll make it through this then."

"Thanks Joe but I don't want you to make a promise that you can't keep." Joe sighed this time not saying anything else. He just stayed there comforting Demi by keeping his arm around her, Demi was thankful, she couldn't go through this by herself. Joe was the best company even if they were silent at the moment, him being there was enough. They only pulled away from one another when the curtain was moved revealing Kevin.

"Joe can we talk?" He questioned Joe nodding his head getting up, he didn't want to leave Demi behind but he did going to talk to his older brother to see if there was anything wrong with the little girl who was going through so much. Once he had he moved the curtain Demi stood up Joe able to see the nervous look on her face.

"How is she?"

--------------------------------------------------------