Three

"I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do for your daughter." Joe held back his own sob as the parents let theirs out after a doctor had explained there's nothing else they could do. It was the hardest part of the job, not being able to help the family out in any other way. Now they would have to prepare for the death of the little girl who had only lived two years of her life and those two years were spent a lot in the hospital. Joe hugged back the mother as she hugged him, he had given plenty of hugs out over the years but it didn't get any easier.

After comforting the parents he made his way back to the ward to see how the rest of the children were doing like he did most days. He liked to see smiling faces but sometimes that wasn't the case, he smiled as his brother wondered over greeting him, it was weird to see his brother at work but they didn't see each other a lot.

"How are things going?" Kevin questioned.

"Lilly's cancer isn't curable but other than that everybody is fine." Joe answered.

"We've just had a mother come in with her daughter who has been having heart problems, do you think you could take some bloods for me?" Joe nodded his head gently.

"Of course on this ward?" Kevin nodded his head this time handing Joe the equipment needed to take the bloods and a funny plaster to put on afterwards.

"At the end, her name is Nevaeh Lovato." The two brothers separated Joe heading down the ward until he found himself at the end. He liked meeting new children in a way but at the same time he knew they were most likely in pain and he didn't want to hear that. He drew the curtain across smiling when he saw a little girl laid on the bed cuddled up with her mother.

"Hey, I'm Joe. I've been told to come take blood," Joe begun hushing his voice slightly. "Is she okay with needles?"

"I'm Demi," Demi greeted before answering his question. "She's fine, she's had plenty of them." Joe nodded his head making his way to the side of the bed.

"Nevaeh can you sit up for me and show me your beautiful face," Joe encouraged Nevaeh hesitating but lifted her head up looking up at him but then buried her head back into her mother's neck. "Whoa what's going on here, I'm not scary looking am I?"

"She's not normally shy, come on Nevaeh this will make you feel better." Demi helped Nevaeh sit up holding onto her hand.

"That's better, I'll try and be as gentle as I can alright? On the count of three you'll feel a sharp scratch," Nevaeh nodded her head gently. "One, two, three," Joe pushed the needle in making Nevaeh whimper slightly but Demi squeezed her hand.

"What plaster do you want baby girl, Olaf?" Nevaeh nodded her head Joe smiling as he finished off placing a plaster over her small wound.

"You got my last one! I'll have to go stock up," Joe spoke in his kiddie voice, Nevaeh just burying her head into her mother's neck again. Demi smiled kissing her hair. Joe smiled picking up the equipment he used. "I'll see you both soon."

"Thank you," Demi watched as he wondered away drawing the curtains again. "You must be ill if you're not giggling. Nevaeh giggled against her mother.

"He was pretty." Nevaeh grinned Demi laughing herself.

"Oh I see how it is, you have a crush on the nurse. You cheeky little girl!" Demi exclaimed Nevaeh lifting her head up Demi seeing that her cheeks were red. "I guess he was pretty cute wasn't he?" Demi approved kissing her nose.

"Yeah!" Demi was just happy to see her daughter a little more happy, she had been in so much pain over the last couple of days and now was seeming more like herself. But she knew it would only be for a short time before she was in pain again.

------------------------------------------------

Three comments!