IX. Midsummer Night's Dream

~ Harry ~

“So how long have you lived in England?” Ariana asked curiously, making light conversation with me as we walked down the street hand in hand. I was hoping we’d have a peaceful walk, but I suppose today was not my lucky day.

“Pretty much all my life I suppose, but my mum got transferred a lot so we never really stayed in one city until a few years ago.” I told her truthfully as she nodded. “Must be nice then.” She whispered quietly. “Traveling, I mean; seeing the world.”

“You’re not missing much. The world isn’t exactly a beautiful place.” I said as I took a moment to look around me. There was nothing going on around us, yet so much. The streets were mildly noisy, with only the few murmurs coming from seniors talking about last night’s bingo game.

I can see a bum sitting outside a shop, desperate to keep warm. Onlookers look away without a second glance and walk right by him. I sometimes wondered how people could be so cruel.

Then again I’m one of them, and I walk right past the bum as well.

“If the world is not a beautiful place then why are we here?” Ariana asked out of the blue. “I mean, there must be some sort of reason behind our existence, right?”

I looked at Ariana oddly and shrugged. As much as she is a bit weird, she is right.

“Perhaps we were put here to make the world a better place.” She said as I scoffed. “We only ruin the world, and you know it.”

“A mountain isn’t worth climbing without an adventure.” She smiled as I rolled my eyes at her words. “Where did you pull that from?”

“A book I once read.” She said. “My favorite one that I cannot remember the name of, but it’s a good read.”

~*~

Warm air brushed against my cold cheeks as Ariana and I entered the small bakery I used to work at.

“It smells amazing in here.” Ariana commented as she began to remove her gloves. “Yeah, Maurice always keeps the pastries fresh.” I told her as I looked over the glass counter in search for the middle aged woman herself. “Maurice, are you in?”

I tapped a gloved finger on the tiny bell as I called for my old boss. I glanced back at Ariana who was waiting patiently behind me and sighed. “You can take a seat.” I told her as I guided her to one of the tables. She nodded quietly and sat down.

“Harry Styles, is that you?” I turned back to the counter and smiled widely as Maurice quickly removed her apron. “Maurice, it’s been a while.” I chuckled as Maurice beamed and made her way around the counter and towards me. She opened her arms widely for a hug which I quickly obliged to.

“Oh you’ve certainly grown since the last time I saw you.” She pulled away from the hug and glanced up at me in pure happiness. “Four years has it been?” she asked as I nodded. “Yeah, by the way I’m sorry for not visiting as often as before. Uni’s been hell.” I told her jokingly as she chuckled.

“No worries son, I understand. So what brings you back to Cheshire?” she asked excitedly as I smiled. “Just visiting mum with Marcel, and you of course.” I trailed off as she nodded with a small smile. “So, who’s the young lady.” She asked, her eyes darting to Ariana who was still sitting patiently at the table.

“I know what you’re thinking Maurice and no, she’s not. She’s a-“ I gulped. “Friend.” I finished. “Her name’s Ariana.”

“She’s quite pretty isn’t she? I’m going to introduce myself.” Maurice began as she approached Ariana. “Maurice don’t.” My eyes widened.