LVIII. Lesser of Two Evils

A/N: Please vote :) Love always x

-

The lesser of two evils principle (or lesser evil principle) is the principle that when given two bad choices, the one which is not as bad as the other should be chosen over the one that is the greater threat.

~ Ariana ~

               I started to hyperventilate as my hands took hold of the nearest item in my reach, which happened to be my fluffy pencil case. I gripped it tightly and brought it to my chest as Harley continued to speak.

               "Arrangements are final and cannot be changed. Students who receive this message are expected to be settled in their assigned rooms no later than tomorrow afternoon. Inspection will come by each dorm to confirm correct arrangements are made Any further questions may be asked through the main office. Thank you for your co-operation. The Dean."

               I remained silent, unable to react rationally to the news.

               "Ariana, are you alright?" Harley asked.

               I shook my head. "I can't breathe." I told him.

               "Ariana I think you're having a panic attack." Harley said worriedly as he took the pencil case from me. "You need to go to the infirmary." he said as I nodded. "Please."

               "Uh Mr. Staph!" Harley raised his voice.

               "Yes Mr. Adams?" Mr. Staph replied in the same worried tone almost mockingly. "You have interrupted my lecture once again, I trust this time it is important."

               "I need to take Ariana to the infirmary," Harley explained. "She's not feeling well." he explained simply as Mr. Staph sighed. "Very well."

               "Here," Harley helped me out of my seat and wrapped an arm securely around my waist as my legs failed me.

               "My word, are you alright dear?" Mr. Staph asked under his breath as he rested a hand on my shoulder. I shook my head.

               "Panic attack." Harley whispered as Mr. Staph murmured, "Oh dear, alright then. You two may be excused for the rest of class. Just show this slip to the nurses at the infirmary and to your teachers."

               "Thank you sir." I told him.

               "Nonsense, it'd be wrong of me to keep you in class. Now go, get well." he said, pushing Harley and I forward.

               As we rushed to the infirmary, Harley kept speaking to me, telling me to breathe in and out as if I'd forgotten in the moment of failing to. I explained this to him and he laughed, apologizing after.

               "Here we are." he said, entering the infirmary. "Excuse me, can we get a nurse here? Maybe a swat team while you're at it?"

               I weakly hit his chest, causing his chest to rumble as he chuckled. "Sorry." 

               "Oh honey what's wrong?" A nurse asked as her dainty hands helped me out of Harley's grasp. As she walked me away from Harley, he began to speak.

               "She's having a panic attack, I think." Harley said. "She said she can't breathe."

               I managed to nod at his words through my harboured breaths. I was shaking feverishly, like I was fighting against my chest that was constantly constricting against my lungs, simply refusing to allow me to breathe.