Salt and Burn

It was supposed to be a simple salt and burn...

Cas and Sam didn't need Dean. It was gonna be a quick hunt. They would be gone for three days at most.

Besides, an ex angel and a Winchester could handle anything that's thrown at them, right?

Everything started off fine. They figured out who was causing chaos almost instantly and decided to take care of the bitch that night.

They made it to the gravesite, found the guy, and Cas started digging, while Sam kept watch.

As Cas dug, he heard a gunshot behind him. "Cas, hurry!"

Cas sped up and in a matter of minutes, he was lifting the lid of the coffin. He poured the salt and gas and before he could light em up, he heard a scream, slam, then a gurgling noise behind him.

He quickly lit the match and threw it in. The bones lit up and Cas whipped around in time to see the ghost burst into flames then disappear. The celebration was the least of his concerns.

"Sam?! SAM?!" He looked around, trying to get his eyes to adjust to the darkness.

"C-Cas..." Sam weakly called out.

Cas found Sam and ran over to him. "Sam! Sam, no!" He dropped down and put his arms underneath him and lifted him up a bit.

Sam winced and coughed up more blood. "Ca-Cas..."

"Sam, please hang on! I can get you to a hospital!"

"It-It's too late... I won't make it... I-I love you, Cas..." Sam weakly smiled and raised his hand to cup Cas' cheek.

Tears fell freely from Cas' eyes. "Sam... I love you too... Don't leave me... Please, don't."

"It's m-my time, Cas... I-I have to... Take care of D-Dean for me..."

"Sam... Don't go..."

"B-Bye, Cas..."

Sam's eyes closed and his hand fell. His body went limp a few seconds later.

"Sam... Sammy, please... No! SAM!"

Cas let out a loud sob that echoed through the graveyard. He held on to Sam's body tightly.

The ex angel finally understood two human emotions he never did understand.

Grief and misery.