Friends

"Mom, I am gonna go out. Can I take the car." Matt says coming into the living room all dressed up.
"Yea, where are you going?"
"For a jog, in the um... in the park."
"Oh, okay we'll be careful. Be back before 6 please. Tonight is the first night in the house and I am cooking a special dinner."
"Okay mom." Matt gives Jessica a kiss and leaves. Jessica smiles.
"Brandon, how is unpacking going?" Jessica walks into Brady's room.
"Good, I found a box of pictures, they aren't mine." Brady hands a box that is wrapped in tape to Jessica.
Jessica bends down and looks at it. "Huh. I am going to go see whose pictures these are. Want a snack?"
"Apples?" Brady smiles.
"Of course!"
Jessica takes the box into the kitchen and opens it. She finds pictures of Matt. They were Polaroids with him and a girl. The pictures where labeled. Jessica knew she shouldn't read them and just put them in his room, but she read it anyways.
Lake Calhoun 2016, December 1st. Damn I love her.
Golf cart fun, w/ Katie.
Jessica smiled looking at the picture. Matt looked so happy. She hadn't seen him that happy in a while. Now she knew who he was hang out with lately. It made her giggle.
*
6:32
"Can we please eat." Brady says, starving.
"I guess. Your brother must be running late." Jessica looks at her clock.
Right as she goes to the a bite Matt runs in the door.
"Sorry! I lost track of time."
"It's fine, sit down."
"Looks good. Pot roast yum."
"You went jogging?"
"Um yea."
"In jeans?" Brady says laughing.
"Shut up." Matt laughs. Jessica widens her eyes giving Brandon a signal to stop.
"What's so funny?" Matt says annoyed.
"Nothing, just eat your food." Jessica says.
"Matt's in love!" Brandon yells.
"Shh Brady!" Jessica laughs.
"What?" Matt says
"Mommy found a picture with you and Katie."
Brady laughs.
"I don't know a Katie. What are you talking about?"
Brandon sits up and gets it, putting it in Matt's face. Jessica giggles covering her face.
"Stop it, where did you find this?"
"In a box." He says.
"Ugh." Matt rolls his eyes and laughs.
Later that night Brady went to bed and Jessica stayed up. Matt did also, doing more unpacking. Jessica decided to go help Matt and talk to him.
"Looks like we caught you!" Jessica says going into Matt's room.
"I guess you did." Matt says unpacking clothes.
"So, when can I meet her." Jessica sits down in his desk chair.
"Never."
"Matt, come on."
"It's embarrassing. Besides we aren't dating."
"Okay." Jessica looks around her room than pauses when she sees a condom wrapper on the floor.
She walks up and picks it up.
"What are you doing?" Matt stands up.
Jessica turns around and holds the wrapper with a her finger.
"What the hell is this?"
Matt stands there in embarrassment. He face becomes red.
"Mom, I don't know what to say."
"What are you going and doing having sex! At 16! Matthew!" Jessica yells.
Matthew comes and grabs it from her hand throwing it away.
"Mom, you and dad did this stuff when you were younger. I am being safe."
Jessica sits down again, shocked. She was speechless.
"It's not about being safe. It's good to be safe, but you are having sex so young. Honey it isn't something you just do. You do it out of love."
"Okay. Just drop it." Matt turns away from her.
"No Matthew. What if you get her pregnant!"
"I won't. Just stop!"
"Listen Matt, I just-"
"I know, you don't want me to be like you and dad. I won't, she didn't let me anyways, so calm down."
"I love you, I just don't want anything to happen."
"I know mom, I know."
**
"Merry almost Christmas!" Danny says walking into the break room.
"Hi, Merry Christmas!" Jessica giggles.
"Can't forget the 'almost'."
"Haha, oops."
"All ready? Decorating, shopping done, relaxation?"
"I wish. Still have a few things to get done. We aren't decorating this year."
"You aren't? Aw what not?"
"I guess it's not in the budget. But we got a cute little tree." Jessica takes a smile and takes a bite of her salad.
"You don't have decorations from over the years?"
Jessica puts her head down. "Um, it's all at my old house. It's not worth it to go back." Jessica clears her throat.
"I am sorry, I didn't know."
"How is Emily?"
"She is good. She is loving the snow! My goodness."
"I know is crazy."
The room grows quite, it was awkward.
"Can I see you again?"
Jessica looks up at him. "You can see my right now?" Jessica giggles.
"No, like what we did a couple weeks ago. Out of work. You are a great women to be around Jessica."
Jessica blushes. "I have to see, you are a fun person to be with also."
"I understand if you aren't ready, but friends."
"Friends." Jessica says softly.
"I want to take you to a bar by my condo, it's my favorite. Unless you are into fancy restaurants, we can do that too."
"I am always up for a change."
"So your are a fancy restaurant kind of lady."
"I haven't been out to dinner in years. Like I said, I am up for a change."
"Great!"
Danny looks over and sees papers.
"What are those for?"
"Divorce papers."
"Already?"
"Yep. He isn't fighting for the boys. All I have to do if mail this in and is official." Jessica smiles.
"I am happy for you. I mean it's unfortunate that it didn't work out, but you are away from him."
"That's a good way of looking at it. But let's not talk about sad stuff. Tell me about this bar tang you love so much." Jessica giggles, putting the paper in her purse.