Hardest Goodbye Yet

A week later-

After the funeral things were slowly calming down, but nothing was back to normal for the boys. As the summer slowly came to an end the boys didn't take advantage of the warm weather and long pool days. They stayed inside and kept to themselves. Jessica was worried that the boys were only getting worse and not better, especially Matthew.

Dorthy was still in town for another week until she had to return home to Minnesota. She had been a big help and spent lots of time with all of the kids.

One morning Dorthy had made breakfast for everyone.

"Mmmm, it smells good in here!" Jessica says carrying Marlowe on her hip.

"I thought I'd make breakfast for everyone." Dorthy smiles

Danny comes up behind Jessica and kisses her neck.

"This all looks great, D. Thank you."

"No problem. Come sit and eat!"

Jessica and Danny sit down. Jessica sat Marlowe in her rocker and they suddenly her loud thumps coming from the stairs. It was emily and Brandon racing to the table.

"I won!" Brandon says hitting his hand on the table.

The two kids start to giggle and Jessica smiles. Whenever she saw a smile on Brandon's face her mind was at ease.

"Well good morning track stars!" Danny chuckles

"We are racers!" Emily cheers

"I win... every time." Brandon chuckles

"Where is your brother?" Jessica asks

"I'm right here, Mom." Matthew says walking in

"Good morning! Take a seat!" Dorthy smiles

"Actually I can't..." Matthew says

Jessica raises her eyebrows in confusion.

"Everything okay, bud?" Danny says

Matthew shrugs his shoulders "Yeah... it's just... well I bought a plane ticket last night back to Pittsburgh." He says bluntly

Jessica drops her fork on the plate and widens her eyes.

Usually, Matthew would already be back on campus getting ready for the football season. His coaches let him stay home for a while after his fathers passing. He planned to go back in August but things obviously changed.

"What? Why?" Jessica says

"I just need to go. I can't stay here."

"When do you leave?" She says

"Noon. I was packing last night. I'm sorry this is so-"

"Sudden, maybe? Matthew! You can't just get a ticket and leave!" Jessica says

"Mom! I can't stay here... I just need to get my mind off this and focus on football. I'm going back to campus today."

"If you think that's what's best..." Danny says

"No daniel! It's not best. You shouldn't be on your own right now."

"Jessica.... maybe this is what he needs." Dorthy says soothingly

"No! No! No! Matthew cancel the flight." Jessica says

"No mom! I'm not cancelling anything! I'm going back today whether you like it or not!" Matthew huffs loudly then stomps back upstairs to continue packing.

Jessica looked furious but really she was petrified. Matthew has been down rough paths before. He's let his emotions take over and he's made stupid mistakes. She wasn't ready to send him across the country to be alone... not yet. She had been monitoring him. He hadn't been himself. He's been acting the way he did when he was using.