Rewarding

May-

Things had settled down over the next few months. Everyone in the house was still grieving, of course. They had suffered a huge loss. It didn't seem real to them, even to this day. But they were working on themselves as individuals and as a family. They spent much more time together and tried to keep each other happy. Some days of course were harder than other but they all managed to push through it.

Over the last months or so Jessica and Brandon were both seeing someone. When she had noticed a drastic change in his behavior she thought it was best to get him help. He had it hard too. He lost his brother and father so close in time.

He was hanging in there. Doing much better than before. Same with Jessica. The school year was quickly coming to an end. Summer gave them hope.

//-//

Jessica picked Brandon up from school one day to take him to his session. They were every other week for him. He always felt better when he was able to talk.

As they were walking out of the building Brandon stopped Jessica. "I don't want to go back to school today." He says

Jessica turns to him and sighs. "How come? You only have two hours left."

"I'd rather spend time with you. Especially since it's just you and I."

There wasn't a possible way Jessica could say no. She wrapped her arm around her son and smiled. "Okay, honey. We can do that." She smiles

Marlowe was with the sitter for the day while Emily was at school and Danny was working. It was rare that it could just be the two of them one on one, so Jessica was glad that they had this opportunity.

"Are you excited for summer? Danny and I are thinking of taking you guys on a trip. A long one." Jessica smiles

Summer was going to be their time as a family to just get away. They wanted to leave Colorado for a while, maybe a month or a few weeks.

Brandon didn't have much of a reaction when Jessica gave him the news.

"Isn't that exciting, B?" She tilts her head trying to make eye contact.

He shrugs his shoulders. "Sure"

"What's bothering you?" She pouts

"It won't be the same..." He says under his breath

Jessica sighs and nods "I know, buddy. But we have to try to enjoy ourselves and just find some sense of relief." She takes his hand and holds it to her cheeks.

"I'm sorry, I don't want to make you sad." He says as he sees his mothers eyes begin to water.

"Don't apologize. It's okay to talk to me... I was in a bad place when it all happened, it made it hard to talk to me. But you can always come to me. I'm your mommy, okay?"

He nods his head and gives her a hug. "Okay"

//-//

"What do you want for din din little lowie girl?" Danny says with enthusiasm as he sets her in her high chair. Emily and Brandon sit next to her and laugh at her silly faces.

She sticks her tongue out at Danny. He stops and gives her a funny look. She begins to crack up laughing as he darts towards her and begins to tickle her.

"Put that tongue back missy!"

She screams and laughs.

"Daddy you're making her too loud!" Emily covers her ears

"Oh I'm sorry!" He says in a sassy tone

"Pissa!" Marlowe exclaims

"Pizza?"