You Chose Us

Jessica was taken into recovery. Her body was so shaky. She just prayed to god that her baby girl would be okay. She waited for Danny to walk in with the baby, but she didn't expect for that to happen. Jessica couldn't help but think that it was all her fault. That there could have been something she could have done to avoid all of this. To avoid an early birth. She was so angry and frustrated that it was her fault. But there really wasn't a way to avoid this.

Once Jessica was settled into recovery, Dorthy and Albert came running in to comfort Jessica. They were so worried, but tried to hide it and stay strong for Jessica.

Once Jessica saw her parents she started to cry, not able to hold back the tears. Dorthy wrapped her arms around Jessica and calmed her down.

"She'll be okay, she just needs some help breathing... How do you feel?" Dorthy takes her hand.

"Did you see her? Was she breathing?" Jessica says quickly

"Jessica, you need to relax... Your going to hurt yourself." Albert says

"I don't matter right now! My baby girl is sick! she could... it's all my fault. I can't go through this again, I can't lose another baby." Jessica chokes up a bit and holds her chest.

"Listen to me Jessica, these doctors are not going to let her die. She's a strong little girl, she'll fight. I know it. Right now you just need to rest so when she's okay you are in tip top shape for her. Your body has been through a lot. All you can do right now is take care of yourself, for her." Dorthy looks into Jessica's eyes and fixes her hair.

She could see the fright in her eyes. Jessica was starting to become sleepy. Her body was so tired. The nurses watched for her the next sixty minutes until she regained feeling in her lower body. They wanted to make sure that she was okay after the procedure. Danny was still with Marlowe, but he was worried about Jessica and how she was. He only hoped that Dorthy and Albert were with her so she wasn't alone.

**
Danny's POV-

Danny stood behind the nurses and doctors as they poked and prodded his new born. He was so angry, she was only so innocent. Her nostrils flared, she was pale, and she made loud grunting noises. She was breathing so heavily that he could see her ribs every time she inhaled. He understood what they were doing. As a doctor he tried to help, but they wouldn't let him. He listened in on what they were saying to try to figure out his own diagnosis in his head.

Sixty breaths per minutes

Rapid breathing

Sharp pulling of the chest

"Put her on surfactant." A doctor says

Danny stopped for a moment and held his chest.

As Danny watched, a doctor pulled him aside.

"Mr. Huston, your daughters lungs aren't fully developed. Her lungs are immature. This causes her to not breathe correctly. We have come to a conclusion that she has RSD, also knowing as Respiratory Distress Syndrome. We are going to give your daughter surfactant through a breathing tube. As you know, Surfactant will go straight to her lungs. After that is given we plan to connect that breathing tube through a ventilator that will go through her nose."

Danny listened when the doctor spoke to him, but kept his eyes on the baby the whole time. She looked so scared. She just wanted her parents. Danny just wanted to hold her and protect her. It was all out of his hands at this point.