One Last Try

2 days later-

Over the last few days, the only people who saw Marlowe were Jessica, Danny, and there parents. Marlowe was still in the NICU, so young kids weren't able to visit.

Marlowe was gaining strength in her lungs very quickly. The doctors were doing everything they could and it was working. Jessica and Danny bonded a lot with Marlowe. The doctors slowly began weening Marlowe off the ventilator. Marlowe would be able to go home in only a matter of days.

Jessica was doing better too. Her body still hurt, but her mind was too focused on Marlowe getting better.

"Good morning!" Danny walks into the NICU while Jessica holds Marlowe.

"Look, it's daddy. We missed him, huh? He was gone too long. Tell him, ten minutes is too long!" Jessica rocks Marlowe. Marlowe's eyes widened.

Danny chuckles, leaning over and kissing Jessica.

"How is she doing?"

"Fantastic. I'm waiting for the nurse to come so I can try to breastfeed her. I'm nervous that those tubes traumatized her and she won't want anything in her mouth! Danny if that happens and she doesn't even want a bottle, they will have to put her on another g-tube."

"It will take time... I bet she'll do great with some practice. And soon, we can take her home!" Danny glances over Jessica's shoulder and watches Marlowe slowly start to close her eyes.

"She's such a precious baby." Jessica whispers

"I love her. I'm in love. I just wish the kids could meet her." Danny sighs

"They'll meet her soon... I just got off the phone with Matthew. I think he's coming home."
Jessica smiles

"Really? That's good."

"I'm excited for him to come home. I miss him."

"Marlowe, did you hear that. Soon you can meet all of your siblings! How exciting is that?" Danny exclaims.

**

Later in the day Marlowe was moved out of the NICU and back into Jessica's room. They still both weren't clear yet to leave. But Marlowe being moved out of the NICU was a big step.

"Alright Lowie, you have to try. Just try to eat." Jessica says as the nurse assist her in trying to breastfeed her.

Marlowe busted screamed and refused to eat.

Jessica became so discouraged. She wanted to cry.

"Mrs. Huston, it just takes some time. But sadly if we can't get her to eat from you or a bottle we will have to insert another g-tube." The nurse says

Jessica looked down at Marlowe and caresses her head. "Come on little girl. Do this for the both of us." Jessica says desperately trying to feed Marlowe.

Jessica attempted feeding her with a bottle and breastfeeding. Marlowe refused, she just screamed.

"I don't know what to do! She can't go back on a feeding tube Danny." Jessica cries trying to feed Marlowe again.

Danny sits next to Jessica and stops her. Marlowe's piercing screams rang in their ears.

"Danny, stop. I have to try again." Jessica says

"Jessie, give her a break. She's been crying for hours."

Jessica stopped and put Marlowe on her chest.