The 12 Week Rule

10 weeks-

Jessica was 10 weeks pregnant. She had very few symptoms. The kids were in school and doing fine. In two weeks they would all see Matthew again for the football game. Matthew was very busy and didn't call much anymore which made Jessica sad. Jessica and Danny kept the pregnancy a secret and didn't tell anyone. Jessica was going to have her first doctors appointment and see the baby and make sure everything was okay. It was hard for Danny to celebrate the baby in secret and not tell the kids, but Jessica didn't want to take chances.

"Why does grandma have to pick us up? I thought you were daddy!" Emily says pouting.

"Because Emily, mom and I have to work late. We can go to the park after school another day."

"Grandma makes us eat vegetables." Brandon says

"Listen, grandma is picking you up, now please stop complaining." Jessica says holding her head.

Danny reaches over and holds her hand.

After they dropped the kids off they went to work for the day then went out to lunch before the appointment.

"Excited to see the peanut today?" Danny says with a smile.

"Mhm."

"Everything okay?"

"I have a headache."

"Are you sure nothing else is bothering you?"

" I just have a lot on my mind. I am fine, don't worry." Jessica gives him a soft smile.

"Jess, you can talk to me."

"I am scared, Danny. When I was pregnant with Matt and Brandon I had morning sickness all the time, and that was their way of telling me they were okay. With this one, there is nothing. I don't feel pregnant. I know it's early, but at 8 weeks with Brandon, I was as sick as a dog."

"You can't worry Jessica. It's only so early. Each pregnancy is different. I doubt that there is something wrong. You need to think positive. This 12-week rule is not healthy for you."

"I don't want to put everyone through a miscarriage again Danny, you don't undertstand. Everyone was so heartbroken after being so excited. The anniversary of losing Ellie is coming up, and I can't stop thinking about it."

Danny reaches over and wipes away Jessica's tear.

"I am sorry... I know it's hard. But this baby will be okay. After you see him/her today it will ease your mind. I promise." Danny takes her hand and kisses it.

**

When they got to the doctor's office Jessica filled out her papers then went into the doctor's office.

"So Mrs. Huston, this is it?" The doctor says with a smile.

"Yep!"

"So an ER doctor confirmed the pregnancy?"

"Yes, We got to see it. I am 10 weeks today."

The doctor squirts the jell on Jessica and moves around the monitor until they can find the baby.

"It's a small little thing, just give me a moment." The doctor puts his face closer to the screen to look. Jessica gives Danny a frightened look.

"Ah Ha! There it is! So small. For sure measuring at 10 weeks." The doctor backs away and points to the screen.

A tear falls down jessica face and she kisses danny. "Look Danny! That's our baby."

The docotor moves the monitor around again to find a heart beat.