Experimenting

They didn't go to the game, Jessica was too upset. Danny tried to talk to her about it but she refused too. They told the kids that the game was cancelled and Matt had to go back to school. Matthew texted Danny scared about what his mom would do. Matthew went back with the team on Monday.

On Monday while Brandon and Emily did their homework Danny came home to help make dinner.

"We need to talk about this Jessica. We can't push it aside." Danny says cutting the lettuce.

"Do you think that I completely erased it from my mind? I can't stop thinking about it."

"We need to get him help. We can't just kick him out and disown him. He is a good kid Jessica and you know that."

"He knows that he is not aloud to take drugs, he knows that if I find them in this house he is not aloud to come back until he is clean.

I don't know how to handle this Danny!"

Danny cleared his throat. "I understand what he is going through. I know he is your child, but he is like one of my own. If you would let me get him help and work this out."

Jessica looked at Danny with a confused look.

"How do you understand?" Jessica puts down the spoon and rest her body on the counter.

"I went through something like this when I was younger. My parents disowned me, and it got worse. I don't want things to get worse for him. It will get worse."

"Danny you never told me about this... I never knew."

"My brother got me into rehab after football was over. I took summer classes to make up what I missed and I got better. We can shut him out."

"I don't want to shut him out, and you know that. I am just angry!"

"It's okay to be angry, but we need to look into some rehabs and have him agree."

Jessica broke down into tears and covered her face.

"This can't be happening. My baby."

Danny walks up to Jessica and hugs her.

"It will be okay."

**

The next day, During work Danny called Matthew.

"Danny?" Matthew says desperately

"Hey, is everything okay?"

"No, mom hates me. She isn't answering me. She cut off all my credit cards."

"What? I didn't know that. She doesn't hate you Matt. She is shocked and scared for you. I found a therapist on campus. I want you to go see her. I will pay for the sessions but you have to promise you will go."

"Danny, how can I pay for groceries, food, and clothes? Damn it.

Danny I will go. I want to get better. I just want my mom." Matthew cries lightly.

Danny runs his hands through his hair and sighs.

"I will text you the address and your first appointment. You schedule the appointments from there. Go every week, at least. I know it will be tricky but you need to get better kid. You are better than this."

"What about mom? She will never forgive me. Danny I didn't mean what I said. I love her, I do."

"I know you do. I will try to talk to her more. Is just a tough time."

"Is she feeling okay? Is the baby okay?"

"They are fine. Thanks for asking Matthew. Focus on getting better. Call me everyday, and stay away from the drugs."

"I promise. Thank you Danny. I just don't know how I let it get this bad."

"It started out as having fun, to depending on it. Huh?"

"Yea, how did you know?"

"I was in the same position as you, I understand."

**
Later that night-

"Is the baby a girl or boy?" Emily ask Jessica at the dinner table.

"Oh gosh, I don't know. What do you two want it to be?"

"I don't care, I just want to meet the baby!" Brandon says

"Me too." Jessica gives a soft smile as she moves her food around her plate with the fork.

"Are you two ready to be big siblings?" Danny says

"Yea! I am so ready!"

"Another play mate." Emily says with a giggle.

"It will be a while until the baby could play, but that's true." Danny says

The table was quite, and Jessica didn't speak much.

"Can we be excused?" The kids say standing up.

"Yes, can you clean up your plates please?" Jessica says

"Sure, thanks for dinner mommy!" Emily gives her a hug.

Jessica and Danny sat at the table alone and didn't speak. It was awkward.

"So, how was your day?" Danny says

Jessica grunts than looks at Danny. "Why did you never tell me?" Jessica says

"Tell you what?"

"About rehab? You never told me!"

"It wasn't really rehab, it was more like AA meetings and sessions with a therapist."

Jessica sighs

"I am sorry. I didn't want you to think I was a junkie."

"I would never think that. I just never knew."

"I mean you have experimented before right? In high school?"

"I guess, yea."

"Okay.

Well my mom found weed in my room, and she kicked me out. I kept doing it. My brother found out and helped me. It wasn't like I was addicted addicted, I was just using. But I stopped. That's all."

"So you never really went to rehab?"

"No."

Jessica let out a deep breath. "I am sorry. I just am so confused and worried."

"I know honey. But why did you cut him off?"

"How did you know?"

"He called me."

"Yea I cut him off. I didn't give him that money to go buy drugs. That's our money. So I cut him off."

"Jess." Danny tilts his head.

"When he is clean, I will add him back."

**