Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Two weeks later... Presentation Day...

  Today is another dreadful infamous day in high school, presentation day. This presentation day happens to be the Spanish project presentation. Before we dive into our presentation let me answer the question that's tugging at your brain: Are Clark and I flamenco dancing in front of the entire class? NO WAY.  I'm beyond relieved that the agreement was mutual. I can just imagine the awkwardness if I said no right off the bat while I shattered his disappointment if he had wanted to. Thankfully, I don't have to worry about that. 

  Ms. Ramirez paces the class as usual to pick out the next two victims to present. It's almost as if she can physically smell the dread on my nervous system because guess who she chooses to go next, Clark and I. Clark has the same amount of dread as I do written all over his face and in his body language. He looks at me and mouths "Let's get this over with." I nod and carry the report up while he carries the poster board. I think it's obvious who's going to to be presenting what. The report reader goes first so I take a deep breath, shake off my nerves, and start reading the four page report. 

  I managed to get through it with minimal stuttering and moderate pauses. I silently applaud myself and motion for Clark to present his portion. I listen to him explain each visual in such precise detail that I can't help but be impressed. Clark's sure as hell a better public speaker than I am. When the presentation is over, we mainly get applause unlike most who got booed back to their seats so that gives a slight boost of confidence that we're going to get a decent grade on the project. After presentations are over for today, Ms. Ramirez announces that if we're really eager to get our grades, we can stop by her class at the end of the day. I know I am so that's what I'll be doing as soon as school ends, with or without Clark. 

 The end of the school day...

 I rush to my locker in a frenzy to get my things and go straight to Ms. Ramirez's classroom. When I enter her room, she seems truly surprised to see me. "Hey Myra, I'm assuming you're here for you and Clark's grade on your presentation. I'm surprised he's not here to join you." I shrug off the slight feeling of sadness. "I'm sure he has homework to do and what not. I'll just email him the grade, no big deal." She nods and thumbs through her massive green gradebook, scrolling carefully to find our names. She clicks her tongue a few times as she goes to read our grade. "Myra, you and Clark got a 90 on your project. That's the highest grade so far. Nice job." I thank her politely and make my way home. 

  The rest of the day consists of me doing homework, eating dinner, emailing Clark for a bit (which could have gone better), brushing my teeth/flossing, and going to home sweet bed. :)