Chapter 07

Amanda's POV

Thursday, May 31, 1973

Since my father informed me that he will soon mark the wedding date with Lilian, I did not call him. I still tolerated him dating that witch, but getting married? My father, if he still loves my mother so much, should fight to regain his love, but my mother is also stubborn like a mule.

All my friends knew that Roger almost ran over me, because the week after the event, Queen showed up at Imperial College and I was present and I discussed with everyone what had happened. Roger defended himself, of course, saying that it was not his fault, because when he stopped the car, I was crossing the street like crazy, but it was he who was guilty of driving a suicide madman. Thankfully Roger did not know where I was coming from that night, if he knew he was coming from Alex Bristley's house, it would be a scandal.

Now it's around two in the afternoon. I'm at New Musical Express. I left college, had lunch, and came straight to the magazine with Cynthia for another day of internship. While Cíntia went to the Department of Photography, I went to the Editorial Journalism Department. My boss named Olivier is no longer in the magazine. Yesterday was his last day, because he, who is French, left for Paris, because he got a job in a well-known French magazine. He will be sorely missed. Olivier was more than a boss, was a great friend and always encouraged the magazine interns to do their best, to study more and more, to be great journalists. I got the contact from Olivier, because the day I decide to walk in Paris, I can stay at his house with his wife. I even cried at the farewell of my boss. The short time we have been together we have created a great bond of friendship.

This afternoon, journalistic ed itorial meet the new boss. They said the head is called XXX Olivia and she is a cold woman, calculating and want all your wishes are met. What the fuck. I hope this woman does not make my life hellish. I commented with Cyntia about the new boss I would meet today and my friend wished me luck.

I'm already in the department where I work. In my department works ten journalists and ten trainees, including me.

"Ready to face the shrew?" - said my fellow trainee Mike who smiled at me.

Mike is journalism student at the University of London as well, but, of Birkbeck campus.

"You talk so much about this woman that I'm scared before the time, Mike," I said to my colleague.

"Do not worry, Mandy, I'm sure Olivia's shrew will like you, as Olivier liked. Everyone praises her reporting for the magazine, she'll sure like it too, "Mike said.

"I'm not so sure, Mike," he said quietly. "I'm afraid I do not like her and miss my internship, and I need to keep this stage. Only then will I have a chance to be effective and become journalist of the magazine really.

- Yeah. I also want to get the job for journalist. Of eight interns they will only have two for journalists - Mike said - We have to get those two vacancies, Mandy.

I was thoughtful and worried.

- Olivier said that I had already done it, he had already advanced to me about it, but with Olivia now, I do not know anything else. I only sincerely hope that we get the two places for journalist by the end of this year, when we finish college and we already have the graduation diploma of Journalism. - I told Mike.

Before my colleague respond to something the new head of NME magazine journalism Editorial Department entered the room, with one of the magazine's directors.

- Please, everyone, - said the director of the magazine - I want to introduce you to the new head of the Editorial Department of Journalism of NME magazine. This is Olivia Stuks. Welcome Olivia. You will have time to meet all journalists and trainees.