Chapter 14

Saturday, July 21, 1973

Amanda's POV

Bri turned twenty-six on Thursday, July 19th, and today we're all together here at the Kensington Tavern celebrating my friend's birthday. Freddie is present with Mary, John and Veronica, Cynthia, Les, Tim, Clare, Roger is currently kissing a blonde on the lips at the same table we are together. During the time I've known Roger I've never seen him with a redhead, only with a blonde or brunette. Asshole. Brian was sitting next to me talking to me and then he hugged me to the side and I looked at him and Bri smiled at me.

"I can not believe that tomorrow you're going to prepare my birthday lunch at your apartment." I hope I bought all the ingredients, Mandy. "Bri smiled at me.

"All the ingredients are right, Bri." I smile at him. "I made the cake today. The cake you wanted from walnuts.

"I also want a birthday cake and a special lunch for me," Roger said, looking at me while the busty blonde was on his lap.

"As long as you give me the money so I can buy the ingredients, I'll make my lunch without any problems, my dear, after all I like to cook," he said, grinning wryly at Roger.

"Of course I want you to have a birthday lunch for me, Mandy, demonic redhead," Roger said to me.

"We'll see about Roger's birthday later," Clare said, trying to sort out a little fight perhaps.

Roger looks at me with a wry smile, but, Brian looks at him and it kind of signals that I could not understand what they were communicating with.

Roger still kissed the blonde for a while and then got a brunette the same night. At one point I was dancing with the girls and I realized that some guys approached me, but Brian pulled my arm.

"These guys better stay away from you, Mandy. I'll stay with you. "Brian hugged me and I hugged him back.

I felt comfort in Brian's embrace, protection, I can not explain. I hugged him back. I noticed that my friend Cynthia was looking at us closely. Roger also looked at us seriously.

"Will you protect me now?" I asked Brian smiling.

"Pretty girls like you, sweethearts, have to be protected from those stupid guys who just want to take advantage," Bri said, smiling and kissing my forehead.

"Thank you for protecting me," he said, smiling and Roger, even kissing the brunette, watched Brian and me.

Cynthia, who until recently was smiling, cheerful, is now serious and thoughtful. I spent time with Bri and we even danced, but then we went back to the table with our friends.

Cynthia was drinking a beer seriously, and Roger had stopped kissing the brunette and watched me indecipherably.

"Cynthia, my friend, is everything okay?" I asked her that she was beside me in silence.

"It's all right, yes," Cyntia said seriously, continuing to drink the beer.

"Are you really my friend?" You're serious, even a little sad. What is going on? Can I know? I asked again.

"I told you I'm fine, Amanda, damn it, there's nothing to be said," Cyntia said harshly to me.

My best friend had never treated me that way, and I did nothing for her. I was extremely annoyed.

"Okay, pretend I did not ask anything, I'm not here," she said, getting up and walking away from my friend.

I go to the bar and ask for a tequila. Roger, my dislike, appears next to me and prevents me from having a tequila.